Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Was this on the DML or Facebook? I searched Facebook but couldn't find anything.
    Facebook.

It started with Chris Burns saying that the book is essential and my disagreement. My comment and the discussion it spurred:

Chad Robert Krause:
    I've owned five before I ever had the chance to thumb through it.

While it's a good resource, it's about 50% concours manual and 30% general classic car buying tips.

James Espey:
    As the author, I would beg to differ. It's an excellent resource for those new to DeLoreans, particularly those who haven't seen many (or any!) in person. In most cases these people are the most vulnerable to being taken advantage of when it comes to purchasing a DeLorean. I would contend that there is no other place than this book where all the most vital information can be had all in one place. Not everyone wants a carb'd DeLorean with undocumented, home brewed, "I did it all by myself" modifications that in many instances are less reliable and harder to diagnose than a more "stock" example. My book is meant to make sure that prospective buyers are able to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to their inspection of cars they are considering to purchase. Perhaps you should take the time to read through it thoroughly, several times, rather than just "thumb through it". And, please do bring your copy in the next time you have your car into us for service - I'd be happy to continue this discussion in person - I'll even sign it for you if you like!

Chad Robert Krause:
    I didn't mean to offend you. While it's useful to someone who's never owned a classic car, a lot of the information is common sense if you've been around older vehicles.

The production changes, while fascinating, don't affect the enjoyment you derive from the car in the slightest.

While it's not a BAD book; it's certainly great for the average individual who doesn't know that owning a DeLorean isn't like owning a Honda, it doesn't offer that much to those who are obsessed with automotive minutia and have decades of experience dealing with classics.

Rich:
    Without access to the forums (or advice of another owner,) I'd consider it "great," and a "must have." I agree it has a lot of info related to production changes, it's not cover-to-cover car buying tips.

James Espey:
    Even with the forums - with their varying levels of usefulness/accuracy - you're less likely to have them at your disposal when evaluating a car in someone's garage/barn/driveway. That's specifically why the book was made the size it was, so that it would fit in a glovebox and could go anywhere with you.

Production related changes - and their presence or absence on a particular car - are clues to judge overall originality or prompts to ask questions. In that respect, whether it's telling you which hood was used when during production or advising closer inspection of areas like the roof box or relay/fuse compartment, the majority of the book is, indeed, DeLorean-buying tips.

And as I've said elsewhere, at the end of the day, if you are unfamiliar with DeLoreans and are considering spending $10k, $20k, $30k or more on one, but won't spend $30 on a book that will teach you more than months (or longer) scouring forums and sifting facts from fiction, then you pretty much deserve what you get.

Rich:
    I've enjoyed having the guide, I just used it more after my purchases (for the production change info.) e.g. which hood, antenna, & door pull-straps my current car should have.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Very interesting....
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Holy schnikes, my response a few posts up was almost word for word in line with James' response.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Not everyone wants a carb'd DeLorean with undocumented, home brewed, "I did it all by myself" modifications that in many instances are less reliable and harder to diagnose than a more "stock" example.
    Was that meant as a personal slam?
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Holy schnikes, my response a few posts up was almost word for word in line with James' response.
    Ya, let THAT soak in.....

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Was that meant as a personal slam?
    I'm assuming so; though, I was able to diagnose the issues on my car at home while they couldn't figure it out when my car was in their hands.

The people at DMCH were unable to understand the complexities of a ballast resistor bypass.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Administrator
    VIN
    I think James is a bit sensitive. If it was me, I'd respond to critique by asking what would the readers would like to see more of (to make my next edition even better.)

If I was a new owner, that kind of a response would turn me off and I'd purposely not buy the book.

It's a nice guide, but Chad is right....about 50% concours stuff (not sure why James would beg to differ on that.) Look it up on Amazon & do a "look inside."