Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles

VIN
    Blog Entries

The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles

I seem to have offended James when I said,

I've owned five before I ever had the chance to thumb through it.

While it's a good resource, it's about 50% concours manual and 30% general classic car buying tips.
    While it's useful to someone who's never owned a classic car, a lot of the information is common sense if you've been around older vehicles.

The production changes, while fascinating, don't affect the enjoyment you derive from the car in the slightest.

While it's not a BAD book; it's certainly great for the average individual who doesn't know that owning a DeLorean isn't like owning a Honda, it doesn't offer that much to those who are obsessed with automotive minutia and have decades of experience dealing with classics.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post

While it's useful to someone who's never owned a classic car, a lot of the information is common sense if you've been around older vehicles.

The production changes, while fascinating, don't affect the enjoyment you derive from the car in the slightest.

While it's not a BAD book; it's certainly great for the average individual who doesn't know that owning a DeLorean isn't like owning a Honda, it doesn't offer that much to those who are obsessed with automotive minutia and have decades of experience dealing with classics.
    I've never seen Jame's book, other than the cover of course.

But I agree with your assessment that there's nothing mystical about the DeLorean that makes it very much different than any other classic/collector car, thus I can see how much of the info within would fall along such lines.

Why he would be insulted by that - I haven't a clue. Somehow I managed to piss him off at Woodward a couple years ago, so maybe he's just one of those kind of guys

Out of curiosity, is his list of production changes as comprehensive as the one that I recently posted?
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    No, it's not as detailed. It even uses a few pictures from Wikipedia and the concours manual.

It's not a bad tool for a classic car novice, but I can't see paying $30.00 for the concours manual, a few classic car buying tips and a few lines about the DeLorean.

At $10.00, I'd recommend it, but not at $30.00.

I'd also say that it doesn't offer anything that a seasoned DeLorean owner will gladly share for free; I have personally accompanied prospective buyers to look at a DeLorean IN my DeLorean; that's actually my favorite way to go look at one. I've talked people through inspections from across the country as well.

Personally, I think James is just mad because I got a free DeLorean before they came out with new binnacles.
    -Chad K.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Without having reading it, I can still say it's not a bad way to spend 30 bucks before trotting off to buy a 25k+ car. James has been in this game for a long time, and maybe having somewhat of a concours manual is a good thing to determine if you are buying a car with the right hood, or why that early 81 has silver wheels. I think the idea of that book is to give a non car guy who wants a Delorean a working vocabulary to not fall into the same sinkhole that many many many new buyers do.

One former owner on the old talk site paid high teens for a car with a completely rotted frame, he ended up paying big money to have it fixed and never was right after that. A 30 dollar book could have saved him that trouble. Of course for some that's free info avaliable on the intreweb but for others, it's worth it to have that important info compiled into one nice small book with no digging through 20 page threads to read one morsel of fact.

If I were in the market for a DeLorean I would pick it up even knowing what I know now. After all 30 bucks worth of info may save you one overlooked repair, and when was the last time you fixed your DeLorean for 30 dollars? (..shut up Bill)

Administrator
    VIN
    He seems like he gets offended easily. I made one small comment on Chads post and James wrote a healthy paragraph to defend...lol.

I agree with Chad, it doesn't offer anything that a seasoned DeLorean owner will gladly share for free....Josh & Jonathan told me everything I needed to know when I was buying my first DeLorean. The book wasn't able to fill in the blanks 'cause there were none.

I've found the book useful, but mostly after I bought my cars (for the production change info Chad mentioned.) It's the only one of it's kind, so there's that.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    James has been in this game for a long time, and maybe having somewhat of a concours manual is a good thing to determine if you are buying a car with the right hood, or why that early 81 has silver wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I've found the book useful, but mostly after I bought my cars (for the production change info Chad mentioned.) It's the only one of it's kind, so there's that.
    One of the reasons I started the guide that I did is to provide prospective owners with a way to determine if the car they're looking at jives with established DeLorean historical data. After all, if you're looking at a car for sale that has the wrong hood, wrong wheels, wrong pull straps, etc, it can give you an idea as to how much work has really been done to the car you're looking at and that you might want to dig a little deeper before pulling the trigger - especially when they advertise such cars as 'low miles, all original.'

I think that once completed, my guide will be the best in regards to helping owners identify exactly what they have and how rare the combination they have is compared to all other DeLoreans. Stay tuned, cause that thread is just getting started

--Josh S.

Administrator
    VIN
    Without having reading it, I can still say it's not a bad way to spend 30 bucks before trotting off to buy a 25k+ car. James has been in this game for a long time, and maybe having somewhat of a concours manual is a good thing to determine if you are buying a car with the right hood, or why that early 81 has silver wheels. I think the idea of that book is to give a non car guy who wants a Delorean a working vocabulary to not fall into the same sinkhole that many many many new buyers do.
    +1

If I were in the market for a DeLorean I would pick it up even knowing what I know now. After all 30 bucks worth of info may save you one overlooked repair, and when was the last time you fixed your DeLorean for 30 dollars? (..shut up Bill)
    The book is much smaller than you might imagine....you know more than what is in the book and I don't think it would help you much.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    He seems like he gets offended easily. I made one small comment on Chads post and James wrote a healthy paragraph to defend...lol.

I agree with Chad, it doesn't offer anything that a seasoned DeLorean owner will gladly share for free....Josh & Jonathan told me everything I needed to know when I was buying my first DeLorean. The book wasn't able to fill in the blanks 'cause there were none.

I didn't think I was that harsh in my criticism, either. Why James felt it necessary to insult me and my car, I do not know.

I understand that he's proud of his book, but it's still a lot of information taken from the concours manual. If you took that away, I doubt it'd be 10 pages.

In a truly ironic counterpoint to his statement on how unchanged features indicate a "better" car, all of their refurbished vehicles are abominations.

I still maintain that five minutes with a passionate owner will teach you more than that book will.

If it were my decision, I would eliminate 75% of the VIN changes, simplify it to the point of a pamphlet, and offer it for free with the purchase of any DeLorean apparel.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    If it were my decision, I would eliminate 75% of the VIN changes, simplify it to the point of a pamphlet, and offer it for free with the purchase of any DeLorean apparel.
    I would buy that is T-shirt. As long as it was $20 or less.

VIN
    Was this on the DML or Facebook? I searched Facebook but couldn't find anything.

--Josh S.