Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich Plays Grammar Nazi

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The bold is a common second definition for "insure". It can be interchanged for "ensure", but not the other way around. I.E. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Oh, OK...I see what you're saying but they aren't interchangeable. If you put "secure or protect against" instead of "insure" [in this sentence,] you get: "secure or protect against good paint adhesion."

"Insure" is definitely the wrong word to use in this case, and they obviously caught it at some point and made the change.

See here, their updated label:

http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/products/PrepEtch.JPG

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I'm no grammar-nazi, so I haven't a clue which is proper and which isn't.

Though in my mind, to use 'insure' properly, it would have to be stated like this: "Helps insure against poor paint adhesion"
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

Administrator
    VIN
    From Dictionary.com:

What is the difference between insure and ensure, and also, assure?

Basically, insure, ensure, and assure mean to make a person or thing more sure. Insure should be restricted to providing or obtaining insurance to indemnify or guarantee someone or something against a loss. Ensure can be used in all other senses, especially 'to make certain'. Ensure can also imply a guarantee. Then there is a third word, assure, which means to make a promise or convince. Assure also implies the removal of doubt and suspense within someone's mind. Here are some examples of usage for assure, ensure, and insure: I assured him that I would not clean out his tool and hardware collection. She looked back to assure that no dogs were following her. / The government ensured the safety of the troops during the time they would be airlifted out of the country. We will ensure that the abusive coach will not return next year. / She was insured against loss in the homeowner's policy. The valuables are insured.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 10-29-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Though in my mind, to use 'insure' properly, it would have to be stated like this: "Helps insure against poor paint adhesion"
    That's fairly accurate. Insure should only be used if you are providing some type of insurance, so in this case: insurance against poor adhesion. Maybe a little hard on the eyes but it's fairly correct.

I'll update with their response to my email...lol.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 10-29-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Oh, OK...I see what you're saying but they aren't interchangeable.
    Now, now, I didn't say they were interchangeable, I said, "It can be interchanged for "ensure", but not the other way around"!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    That's fairly accurate. Insure should only be used if you are providing some type of insurance, so in this case: insurance against poor adhesion. Maybe a little hard on the eyes but it's fairly correct.

I'll update with their response to my email...lol.
    It's hard on the eyes because, "against poor" processes into, "for good", resulting in, "insurance for good adhesion"., or simply, "insur[ing] good adheasion", or "insures good adhesion" == "ensures good adhesion".
    Which dictionary.com (your example site) also makes clear:
    insure
    1. to guarantee against loss or harm.
    2. to secure indemnity to or on, in case of loss, damage, or death.
    3. to issue or procure an insurance policy on or for.
    4. ensure (defs 1–3).: to make (something) sure, certain, or safe

ensure
    1. to secure or guarantee:
    This letter will ensure you a hearing.
    2. to make sure or certain:
    measures to ensure the success of an undertaking.
    3. to make secure or safe, as from harm.
    4. insure (defs 1–3).

==================================

As does thefreedictionary.com

insure
    1. (often foll by against) to guarantee or protect (against risk, loss, etc): we insured against disappointment by making an early reservation.
    2. (Insurance) (often foll by against) to issue (a person) with an insurance policy or take out an insurance policy (on): his house was heavily insured against fire; after all his car accidents the company refuses to insure him again.
    3. another word (esp US) for ensure1, ensure2

================================

And last, but certainly not least, Merriam-Webster:
    insure
    verb inĚsure \in-ˈshu̇r\
    : to buy insurance for (something, such as property or health)
    : to provide insurance for (something, such as property or health); also : to provide (someone) with insurance
    : to make (something) sure, certain, or safe

===============================

Sorry for being lazy and choosing the first result to pop up in my search for an example...

Hopefully, I can now rest assured that I have ensured that you are sure your paint adhesion will not be insured. ...um, not by them. ..., anyway. ..., probably....Damn at the holes! -- Let's get back to the fun -- Ya didn't mention the 'Easter Egg' I hinted about...
    Last edited by Ron; 10-30-2015 at 03:47 AM.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Hopefully, I can now rest assured that I have ensured that you are sure your paint adhesion will not be insured. ...um, not by them. ..., anyway. ..., probably....Damn at the holes! -- Let's get back to the fun -- Ya didn't mention the 'Easter Egg' I hinted about...
    HAHAHA...I love it it! (But I still disagree...can't use "insured" in this case.)

I need this split to make a Grammar-Nazi thread, I'll post a follow up on this very important discussion!

VIN
    I hope EVERYONE here agrees that "My bad" doesn't make sense but that " My fault" does.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Blog Entries
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    I hope EVERYONE here agrees that "My bad" doesn't make sense but that " My fault" does.
    Agreed, but urban slang doesn't annoy me half as much as someone with a 4-year degree interchanging "since" and "sense."

Administrator
    VIN
    LOL...as soon as he said "haven't been no" I was like: "arrggghhhh!"

A lot of that was beyond my command of grammar, I only have a mastery of [what I believe to be] the basics & common sense stuff.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 10-30-2015 at 11:29 AM.