Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Install a 3.0L PRV into your DeLorean

While in DC I rode in MattDavid's car. It does indeed run (which is more than you can say about certain other DeLoreans...).

What potential EFI'ers need to keep in mind is that MattDavid spent years getting his car to this point. It certainly was not a plug & play installation. Each car needs to be individually tuned -- not a short term process. As MattDavid's car proves it can be done (quite nicely), but anyone considering the same needs to understand what the entire project will entail. Fitting components onto the engine is just the beginning.

This is where I disagree with Owen Malbec.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    What Bill said. I rode in Jim Reeve's car at the DMCMW open house. I beleive he is running Megasquirt combined with a home brew version of a stage II engine. The car had so much power that I almost crapped my pants. I have no clue if it was EFI or the stage II that did it but his car had lots of power.

EFI certainly isn't for everyone and neither are carbs. If you like simplicity go with a carb. If you want to use computers to tweak your car and enjoy having passengers crap in your car, then go with EFI.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    This is a good disclaimer Bill, well worth mentioning. Doing the mechanical swap (properly) should not be discredited either, between fabricating the components and wiring up the sensors, it is not exactly straight forward. My hopes is this thread will make it as easy as possible though. I am looking forward to the tuning (I may take this back later haha). But I enjoy the almost endless customization MS offers when properly configured.

So if anyone goes into this swap thinking they can plug in a msq file and never bother with tuning is sadly mistaken. However it is an excellent start.

VIN
    For the record, I like riding in properly running EFI cars where someone else did all the work. The headache isn't my cup of tea but I don't mind benefiting from it.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    When I get the brackets created (either designed by myself or referenced off of Matt's) I will be making the parts drawings available here, so they can be reproduced easily by any machine shop by simply handing them a piece of paper.
    Applause!

EFI forum on Talk is full of owners struggling to get their software correct. Should be mandatory reading for anyone considering EFI.

Every person I have helped with carburetion can attest that the first thing I did tell them to do some research first, even providing contact info of other owners so they can communicate candidly directly.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Applause!
    Feel free to hold me accountable to this! lol.

VIN
    Here is a small addition to the thread, the modifications to the alternator bracket.

20130930_092519.jpg

Fuel line information will be next.

VIN
    Attached is the procedure for swapping out the lower crankcase and all the torque specs relating to the engine. This is pulled from the eagle service manual. I can scan more if anyone wants, just don't want to do the whole thing for copy-write issues and the fact that it takes a long time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are tuned headers from the 2.8 and 3.0 interchangeable?
    Marco
    Vin 6845 - Nov. 81 Gray 5Speed Grooved