Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve says goodbye to his tricycle, wants a big boys bike

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Ouch. I didn't realize there really was a weight difference. For the last trip I had all sorts of gear. For this trip I'm seriously thinking of carrying nothing more than a one man tent and maybe a thin sleeping bag simply to eliminate unnecessary weight.
    Don't worry about weight too much, I don't. I also didn't know if you were looking at road or mountain bikes, road bikes are on the lower end of the weight difference. Probably 2 to 5lbs at most comapred to similiar name brand road bikes.

2 to 5lbs is nothing for a non competitive rider.

VIN
    Well this sucks. I just realized they don't have the galaxy al in my size. Bikes direct recommended 56cm for me but the closest they have is 54cm.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Well this sucks. I just realized they don't have the galaxy al in my size. Bikes direct recommended 56cm for me but the closest they have is 54cm.
    Well you should not forget about that Masi at your bike shop. I bet it's a pretty good bike for you too.

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    How much you charge to Uber my big arse ?

VIN
    I wish I could charge by the pound. I have a feeling I'm going to need to replace my rear shocks eventually. I've had a few passengers that were double the size of Ron.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one tonight if it meets Michael's approval. They have my size in stock and the cost is $499. Its just a newer version of the older Galaxy that Michael already approved.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...laxy_al_xv.htm

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I think you two will be very happy together. That get's the Michael seal of approval.

VIN
    I was about to punch in my credit card number and then something told me to type Mercier Galaxy AL into a google search.

This is what came up:
    http://bikeshopwarehouse.com/cgi-bin...ils&ProdID=628

Maybe I am completely wrong but this looks like the exact same bike other than different pedals and tires. The Bikesdirect one has Michelin 28c tires and the Bikeshopwarehouse has Kendra 25c tires.

Any thoughts sir? I'd actually prefer 25c tires and the pedals are no big deal as I have cage pedals on my old bike that I can transfer over. This is a $150 price difference. There has to be something major that I am missing. Both come with free shipping.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Lots of different (low end) components on the cheaper one. I think you will be better off with the black one.

VIN
    I can't believe this. I go to order it and this is what comes up!

bike.jpg