Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve says goodbye to his tricycle, wants a big boys bike

VIN

Steve says goodbye to his tricycle, wants a big boys bike

I'm confused. Is this thread about bicycles or motors? I'm about to purchase a road bike from Bikesdirect.com and could use some advice if there are any bicycle gurus on here.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    What do you need to know?

I have ridden for about ohhh 20+ years.

I got my last road bike from Bikes Direct. Not bad for the money. They skimp on the seconadry components and use somewhat cheaper frames, but for a casual rider who is not a weight weenie, they are well worth looking into.

What kind of bike are yoy looking for?

VIN
    Two years ago I rode from Jacksonville to Pensacola on a GMC Denali. It's basically a walmart bike. The trip was 427 miles and tool 10 days. I'm looking for a better bike that won't break the bank. In November I'm riding from Pensacola to Baton Rouge. Hang on a second and I'll post the list of bikes I'm considering.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    These are the bikes I'm considering from Bikesdirect.com.

Dawes Lightening DLX - 54cm

Mercier Galaxy AL - 56cm

Windsor Wellington 4.0 - 56cm

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Two years ago I rode from Jacksonville to Pensacola on a GMC Denali. It's basically a walmart bike. The trip was 427 miles and tool 10 days. I'm looking for a better bike that won't break the bank. In November I'm riding from Pensacola to Baton Rouge. Hang on a second and I'll post the list of bikes I'm considering.
    Hello?

http://www.deloreanbicycle.com/

VIN
    This is the bike I test road at a LBS. It was on sale for $499. I think regular price was $750. I verified it was a good deal by comparing the price with another local shop.

When I mentioned bikes direct to the LBS guy he asked to see the specs of the bike I was considering. I showed him the Dawes Lightning DLX for $399 and he told me it was a much better deal than what he showed me in his store.

VIN
    Ha. I wonder if DMCH woukd sponsor me if I rode their bike. Lol

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The Dawes was my first road bike when I got back into things several years ago. Basically don't pay attention to the brands. These are just older defunct names that have been bought out. The only difference between most of them are the decals. The secondary components (seats, posts, handlebars, stems, etc.) are cheaper and branded with a cool XRP name, but work fine, just don't expect to save any weight.

Most have cheap wheels too, but some of the higher price bracket bikes have name brand stuff. I have the cheap XRP wheels on mine and I have no issues with them at all. Look for the primary components, (shifters, cranks, derailleurs) You will want Tiagra, 105, or better and most have it. These are the jewel of bikesdirect bikes, they give you what you need, and spare the fluff. You want good drive components, everything else is fine albeit on the heavy side.

When you get right down to it, the difference between a bikesdirect bike and a high end Trek, Specialized, etc. (For the average rider) is about 700 to 1000 dollars and probably 5 to 7lbs.

I will look at the bikes you posted and let you know what I think the best deal is.

VIN
    Ouch. I didn't realize there really was a weight difference. For the last trip I had all sorts of gear. For this trip I'm seriously thinking of carrying nothing more than a one man tent and maybe a thin sleeping bag simply to eliminate unnecessary weight.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I would go with the Mercier Galaxy AL out of the three. Better components. Sora is fine but the lower rung of the Shimano road line. The big thing is the shifters are STI, and since you will be using them a lot, you wan't something with a bit of quality behind them.Also has a FSA crank (good). Doesn't mention cables but they are probably Jaguar (good). All in all I think it's worth the extra Benjamin. 4 to 500 is a good price range for a sport/recreational rider. It gets you a nice ride for what you want to do with it. Don't put too much emphasis on the carbon forks. The carbon they use is a pretty loose weave and it does have some flex to it. I got a full carbon road bike a few years ago (which is the one I ride now) and it's true the carbon does absorb a lot of shock, but the flex takes a bit of getting used to. Just a carbon fork however may not be as noticable.

Any of those bikes will be heads and shoulders above the GMC Walmart bike you had. I looked at one of those for a friend several years ago and the crankset was spotwelded together. I would not trust that on a long ride especially with any kind of mountain climbs. You got lucky.

Now as far as the LBS goes, entry level bikes at this range will run around 7 to 800, but IMO there is not one thing wrong with that. These are name brands with slightly better secondary components. When I got my last bike I seriously considered a Specialized Tarmac, but I wanted to try a full carbon so I went with the Bottecchia CF something number something. It was 1,200.00 and the comparable LBS bike was close to 2k, plus 10% tax, so decision made.

Bottom line, any of them will be fine, but if you want fine with a sprinkling of delighted, get the Galaxy.