Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: DPI's Automatic Transmission Pan Gasket

  1. #1
    As seen on TV! Dracula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tomball, TX
    VIN
    3676
    Posts
    4,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    DPI's Automatic Transmission Pan Gasket

    Today the transmission pan gasket that I ordered from DPI arrived. It is a rather nice thick rubber unit. I will be installing it and replacing my transmission filter posthaste.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

    Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

  2. #2
    Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    4,349
    Blog Entries
    6
    I have used this and it's a very good product. It may be a bit on the pricey side considering shipping costs, but if you are making an order with DPI then tack one on.

    When you consider the alternative of smearing a bunch of goop on your pan and case and the time involved...what's 25 bucks to insure a leak proof joint?

  3. #3
    As seen on TV! Dracula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tomball, TX
    VIN
    3676
    Posts
    4,459
    Blog Entries
    2
    As someone who has driven cars with gaskets made from newspaper and glue, I appreciate a quality product.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

    Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have used this and it's a very good product. It may be a bit on the pricey side considering shipping costs, but if you are making an order with DPI then tack one on.

    When you consider the alternative of smearing a bunch of goop on your pan and case and the time involved...what's 25 bucks to insure a leak proof joint?
    Excuse the sophomoric question, do you use anything with these gaskets to ease installation or promote a better seal? With this gasket, is it simply a sandwich by itself between the case and pan?

  5. #5
    Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    4,349
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Excuse the sophomoric question, do you use anything with these gaskets to ease installation or promote a better seal? With this gasket, is it simply a sandwich by itself between the case and pan?
    You got it. Nothing needed but you will need to clean all the old material from both mating surfaces. You will also need to flatten the mating surface of the pan. The pan's holes have a tendency to deform when the pan was torqued the last time it was attached so you will need to flatten them before reassembly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You got it. Nothing needed but you will need to clean all the old material from both mating surfaces. You will also need to flatten the mating surface of the pan. The pan's holes have a tendency to deform when the pan was torqued the last time it was attached so you will need to flatten them before reassembly.
    Thank you

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    VIN
    06631
    Posts
    36
    Dredging up an old thread here...

    Just received my gasket from Josh today. Going to swap out my transmission filter with one of Michael's sometime this week. Was I reading the workshop manual right when it says 2-3 foot pounds of torque on the pan bolts??? My torque wrench doesn't go nearly that low. How have you guys done this in the past?

    May just have my four-year-old come out and tighten them down, and call it good

  8. #8
    Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East TN
    VIN
    05609
    Posts
    4,349
    Blog Entries
    6
    I just use my "built in torque o meter"

    Just be sure to snug opposite bolts like you do a cylinder head, then go back and tighten them down working on opposite sides as well.

  9. #9
    Uncensored Hypocrite stevedmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    VIN
    16510
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Dredging up an old thread here...

    Just received my gasket from Josh today. Going to swap out my transmission filter with one of Michael's sometime this week. Was I reading the workshop manual right when it says 2-3 foot pounds of torque on the pan bolts??? My torque wrench doesn't go nearly that low. How have you guys done this in the past?

    May just have my four-year-old come out and tighten them down, and call it good
    Wow that is low. I usually torque 11ish pounds on gaskets.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

  10. #10
    As seen on TV! Dracula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tomball, TX
    VIN
    3676
    Posts
    4,459
    Blog Entries
    2
    What's a torque wrench?
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

    Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •