Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite ISPs

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN

Satellite ISPs

OK, as Steve already knows, I'm currently using Exede as my ISP at home as there are no other broadband ISP options in my area. When accessing the forum via Exede, sometimes I can get on via direct access, but most of the time I can't. I'm guessing that the host/server of the forum is blocking either my IP or all traffic from satellite ISPs for some unknown reason, OR it could possibly be an issue with the latency of my ISP - I honestly haven't a clue. I can usually access the forum indirectly on Exede by using a proxy, but sometimes even this doesn't work for me. When using a proxy, I have limited functionality.

Right now I'm at my sister's house getting ready to watch the GOP debate on CNN. She has Time Warner Cable broadband and I have no problem what-so-ever accessing the forum directly from her ISP.

Anyone using a satellite connection that's encountering a similar issue, please post your experiences here.

Is this something that someone could possibly look into with our host/server?

I'd appreciate it!
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    I had the exact same problem with Exede. In fact, I think it was the only problem. I contacted Exede about the issue and they never were able to resolve it for me. I will say this though, I'm on 18 mb dsl now and excede's 12 mb service was faster and more reliable than my landline service. The only annoyance besides the data cap was the latency and not being able to access dmctoday without using a VPN.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Thanks for the response

That's definitely interesting. Based on what I've been able to find out in researching the issue, I think that the issue causing the problem is with GoDaddy and not Exede. Either the latency of an satellite ISP is causing a time-out before the page responds to a load request, or GoDaddy is selectively blocking traffic from satellite ISPs as a means of controlling their bandwidth usage.

Most of the time, I can lurk on Talk directly via Exede without issue, though occasionally I'll have access issues there as well. This leads me to believe that it's not necessarily a vBulletin issue, but rather a host/server issue, though it could be a vBulletin issue. I honestly don't know enough about the intricacies of networking and software interactions to know exactly what's causing this problem.

I'm curious to know how HughesNet or DishSatellite would work??? Anyone have Hughes or Dish that uses the forum - please post your experiences. I'll start asking around to see if I can find anyone with Hughes or Dish that I could use to do some testing with.

Until then, this will remain a mystery....
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Linux Janitor
    VIN
    What errors (if any) are you seeing when things don't work? are you getting page timeouts or host not found errors? HTTP 400/403/404/500 errors?
    when the errors occur you could try opening up a command prompt and typing "tracert [domain youre trying to reach]" and see where its timing out as well.
    just a couple simple/quick things to look into before digging deeper into the issue.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    What errors (if any) are you seeing when things don't work? are you getting page timeouts or host not found errors? HTTP 400/403/404/500 errors?
    when the errors occur you could try opening up a command prompt and typing "tracert [domain youre trying to reach]" and see where its timing out as well.
    just a couple simple/quick things to look into before digging deeper into the issue.
    I was thinking the same thing when Josh mentioned latency. I think that would have to be some mongo latency for the page not to eventually load.

Josh, if you run a trace route (tracert,) post the results here so we all can look at it. Please also include the login credentials to your trading account that houses your COG position.

Also for a quick & easy test, try pinging dmctoday.com and the associated IP like this:

C:\Users\NightFlyer Josh>ping dmctoday.com

Pinging dmctoday.com [50.62.113.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 50.62.113.1: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 50.62.113.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 108ms, Maximum = 109ms, Average = 108ms

C:\Users\NightFlyer Josh>ping 50.62.113.1

Pinging 50.62.113.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 50.62.113.1: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=54
    Reply from 50.62.113.1: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=54
    Reply from 50.62.113.1: bytes=32 time=137ms TTL=54
    Reply from 50.62.113.1: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 50.62.113.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 109ms, Maximum = 137ms, Average = 116ms
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 09-17-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Linux Janitor
    VIN

Satellite ISPs

I also wouldn't be surprised if the ISPs just have crappy DNS servers. A test for later on is to change the DNS servers your router uses from default (what your ISP tells the router to use during the dhcp handshake) and set it static to either the IPs of google's DNS servers or opendns's servers.

Google's are : 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    Opendns's are: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Regardless, I recommend changing the DNS servers you point to as they're most likely to be much faster at host name resolution than your isp's servers.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    I also wouldn't be surprised if the ISPs just have crappy DNS servers. A test for later on is to change the DNS servers your router uses from default (what your ISP tells the router to use during the dhcp handshake) and set it static to either the IPs of google's DNS servers or opendns's servers.

Google's are : 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    Opendns's are: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Regardless, I recommend changing the DNS servers you point to as they're most likely to be much faster at host name resolution than your isp's servers.
    Good call, I'm wondering if we'll see an issue in a comparison of hostname vs IP pings (in the 1st reply.)

Next tech session will be at Josh's house for us all to work on his Internet connection -lol

Administrator
    VIN
    Actually, we could probably capture the issue on his machine and figure it out from there.

Josh, bring your laptop to Andrews and we'll install Wireshark on it. We'll all gang up on it and see what the issue is, yo.

VIN
    Nerds.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Linux Janitor
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nerds.
    pay the bills!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Actually, we could probably capture the issue on his machine and figure it out from there.

Josh, bring your laptop to Andrews and we'll install Wireshark on it. We'll all gang up on it and see what the issue is, yo.
    watch his ISP is randomly injecting reset packets just because they can