Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How to fix speedometer issues

UK angle drive came from speedograph richfield; but I can assure you they don't make them (delorean ones) anymore

Administrator
    VIN
    I don't sweat the price, I just want a good one.

I want to be sure to get a dust cap if necessary. It looks to me that a bad cap has a rounded-out hole, good cap has a square hole for the drive. Is that all there is to it?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 11-03-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Dust cap fits very loosely on the spindle cable even when brand new. Basically it's halfway rounded out straight out of the box. Typical solution is to wrap the end of the spindle cable with electrical tape. I filled my dust cap with JB Weld and used a piece of 1/8" square bar to form the spindle cable hole while it dried.

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Dust cap fits very loosely on the spindle cable even when brand new. Basically it's halfway rounded out straight out of the box. Typical solution is to wrap the end of the spindle cable with electrical tape. I filled my dust cap with JB Weld and used a piece of 1/8" square bar to form the spindle cable hole while it dried.

Bill Robertson
    Good info...thanks. If I get a good pic, I'll post it to get a further assessment.

Administrator
    VIN
    Here's my dust cap, looks like I'm in pretty good shape!

I removed the angle drive; I can see that all the parts don't turn together, and the cable-innard-looking part that goes through the hub is somewhat "twisted/bent."

Ya know, all that bitchin' I read about removing axle bolts, and they're nothing compared to this one-flat-at-a-time pain in the ass. I can remove both axles in the time it took me to get the angle drive out. I was also beginning to think it wasn't going to clear the spring, but I got it!

PB032475.jpg

Administrator
    VIN
    I have an angle drive on the way. The cables look to be in good shape, but I'd like to do a little PM if possible, the inner part looks like it has been lubricated so I'm guessing I should clean & lube it. What do I use for that?

my angle drive was loaded with that silver anti seize grease when I bought my car.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/