Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix speedometer issues

VIN
    Wow. Where did that cable come from? It looks heavy duty.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

That's just a rubber sleeve over an otherwise standard cable sheath. Look closely at my home made cable and you'll see a similar sleeve transferred over. You need that sleeve to fill out the grommet hole. Brandon's car doesn't have a grommet, so I didn't worry about one for him. If he ever needs one, a piece of 5/16 fuel line hose will work nicely.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    That's just a rubber sleeve over an otherwise standard cable sheath. Look closely at my home made cable and you'll see a similar sleeve transferred over. You need that sleeve to fill out the grommet hole. Brandon's car doesn't have a grommet, so I didn't worry about one for him. If he ever needs one, a piece of 5/16 fuel line hose will work nicely.
    Well that makes sense. I've just been using a can of Great Stuff Foam to fill holes like that in my car.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Bill, do you want me to send it to you? Which end do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Wow. Where did that cable come from? It looks heavy duty.
    It's a piece of heater hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Bill, do you want me to send it to you? Which end do you need?
    Do you want a single piece speedometer cable, or are you just donating a nut to the cause?

Bill Robertson

Just donating to the cause. My speedo works for now, so I'll get my one-piece cable later.

VIN
    Bill, do you need me to send you a camera so you can document making one? I can't seem to find my old cable so I'm not able to make a video of the process at the moment.

Unfortunately I was only born with two hands, so unless I can tuck your video camera on my shoulder or hold it in my mouth it would be close to useless.

I am happy to document the process with still photographs.

Until my crimp on ends show up, speedometer cables are on hold. Retail price of those Dorman kits is $8 (plus sales tax), so I think I did pretty well -- buy 3, get 5 free. I've also got a 20% Autozone coupon expiring next week, so I think I'll use it on a cable. Whoever gets the first one will have less than $10 in parts.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Why don't we give a few of them away for free? I'll even reimburse you for the cost. I've been wanting to give some stuff away for free as a thanks to those that have signed up for DMCToday.

We could start a thread and raffle off three or so cables to people that need one. I'll gladly pay for it.