Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R134a deal at Sam's Club

VIN
    At least they aren't arguing about spark plugs.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    At least they aren't arguing about spark plugs.
    Give them some more time.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

Ron can store his spark plugs right side up if he wants. Some things just aren't worth arguing about.

All the electricity will drain out of them, but that's his problem, not mine.

Bill Robertson

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Ron can store his spark plugs right side up if he wants. Some things just aren't worth arguing about.

All the electricity will drain out of them, but that's his problem, not mine
    I've heard that before, though I've always stored mine horizontally just because
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Storing spark plugs on their side only works if you rotate the boxes periodically, otherwise electricity puddles on one side of the plug.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I don't stockpile spark plugs. Someone told me plugs will always fire, no matter how bad the prongs are.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I don't stockpile spark plugs.
    I stockpile the Bosch silvers/silbers, only because I occasionally find them on eBay for insanely cheap prices.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

I don't stockpile spark plugs. Someone told me plugs will always fire, no matter how bad the prongs are.
    Technically that is true, but what many people do not realize is the longer they sit, the longer it takes electrons at the tip to warm up. Basically the electrons "go to sleep" and have to be re-energized into action.

Also, electrons lose potency with time. Newly manufactured spark plugs have much more electricity in them than spark plugs that have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Old spark plugs may still fire, but they will never be as powerful as fresh ones. I never buy spark plugs that have collected dust on their boxes (unfortunately there's no manufacturing date on the plugs themselves, so you have to look at the boxes to estimate how old they are).

Storing spark plugs in the freezer will extend their shelf life slightly, but of course requires even more time for them to warm up than usual. Each owner has to decide for himself whether a couple of extra months in storage is worth longer idling before driving the car. With gas prices currently being so low, IMHO it isn't worth it -- just idle the engine for 5 minutes before driving so the plugs get good & hot.

Some old heads claim you can rub spark plugs on your sweater or the carpet to generate static electricity and warm them faster (or even recharge them), but that is palpable nonsense.

BTW: which spark plugs are you using? Stay away from plugs with black printing on them -- the black ink absorbs heat *OUTSIDE* the engine where it won't do any good (obviously there's no printing on the electrodes inside the engine). Blue ink absorbs less heat than black, but white ink is the best -- it actually radiates heat back towards the engine.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 09-09-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Bill, watch out, somebody out there will fall for all that.
    Rebuilding basket cases in parking lots since 2005.

87 Vette, 56 Metropolitan, 78 Vette, 81 DMC.