Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodward Dream Cruise 2015, Detroit, MI, Saturday, August 15th

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN

Woodward Dream Cruise 2015, Detroit, MI, Saturday, August 15th

Yes, it's that time again already!

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

Once again, I'll be attending this event with #1798.

The DeLorean display at the Bloomfield Hills Mercedes Benz dealership is already making local news in anticipation of the event:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gener...assic-car-show

Anyway, I'll be arriving in Pontiac on Wednesday, August 12, and staying in the area throughout the cruise week.

Post if you'll be attending and we can attempt to meet up during the cruise
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    As preposterous that this may sound, I live only a mere 15 miles from the Pontiac loop on Woodward, but cannot attend due to a family reunion in Indiana that same weekend (some people just don't understand ). Will you be going out any other night's you are in town? I'm usually out there in one vehicle or another a few times a week this time of year.
    "When are you getting a flux capacitor?"
    - Everyone

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    As preposterous that this may sound, I live only a mere 15 miles from the Pontiac loop on Woodward, but cannot attend due to a family reunion in Indiana that same weekend (some people just don't understand ). Will you be going out any other night's you are in town? I'm usually out there in one vehicle or another a few times a week this time of year.
    Yep - will be going out Wed, Thurs, and Fri nights. Cruising on Woodward takes place all week long. Not sure when the guys from Midwest Connection make it into town, but I'm pretty sure that they cruise Thurs and Fri nights. If you're available and are interested in hooking up, shoot me a PM

--Josh S.

VIN
    Day 1 Report - Wednesday:

As this year I was coming from southeast Wisconsin, I ended up taking the Lake Express high-speed ferry across Lake Michigan, as opposed to driving around the Lake via Chicago and NW Indiana. The water on the Lake was a little choppy, and I'm sure that the fact that I'm currently on antibiotics for an ear/throat infection didn't help matters at all, but I learned very quickly that I definitely DO NOT have sea legs - I was puking my guts out in the bathroom for a majority of the 2 hour trip Luckily, 1798 had a much better trip on the ferry than I did.

Happy to report that I'm much better now that I'm back on solid land, and 1798 and I are currently settling in at the Courtyard by Marriot in Pontiac. Did a little scoop of Woodward with the doors up and even got a passenger for a few blocks (nice kid who was jogging along side my car begging for a ride, so I motioned him in and took him a few blocks down the road where he jumped out). Looking forward to doing some serious cruising tomorrow

@Albert - I'll be contacting you tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be able to meet up at some point - I'm looking forward to it

Pictures to follow, though I'm warning everyone that I looked like shit today because of my ferry experience.

--Josh S.

VIN
    Day 2 Report - Thursday:

Spent most of the day (Thursday) detailing 1798 in the hotel parking lot. Got made fun of by several others for being so slow/fussy cleaning up my car. Cruised Woodward. Ate dinner at the famous Duggan's. Albert found me on Woodward and we were able to meet up. I'm sure that Albert was thinking 'damn, this guy just doesn't shut-up!' Cruised Woodward some more. Returned to the hotel and crashed.

Supposed to rain today (Friday), but so far, it's looking nice this morning. Looking forward to doing lots of cruising today. May go up to Flint to do the Back to the Bricks cruise - they tend to get crazier than Woodward cruisers, though I haven't up to the bricks since they moved their main event from Fri to Sat, which then competes with main even Woodward, which I think is stupid, but they obviously don't listen to me.

Again, pics to follow.

--Josh S.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I'm sure that Albert was thinking 'damn, this guy just doesn't shut-up!'
    I would never think such a thing! . Had a great time and learned a lot, so thank you. Hope you have a good time this weekend, sorry I can't be there.
    "When are you getting a flux capacitor?"
    - Everyone

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Looking forward to doing lots of cruising today.
    How 'bout you cruise over to Lake George NY tonite? I'll meet you there....

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    How 'bout you cruise over to Lake George NY tonite? I'll meet you there....
    I'll be right over - that's only a slight detour from the official cruise route

One day, I'll make it out there to check out the Catskills

--Josh S.

VIN
    Day 3 Report - Friday:

Did 3 round trips of the 16 mile cruise route, or 96 miles total, between 9am and 2pm. On the way back to my hotel, I passed Rich W in this year's DCS raffle car on Opdyke Rd. - he was heading towards Woodward. He didn't notice that it was me that he saw, and for some reason, thought that my car had chromed wheels (must have been the way the sunlight was hitting them)....

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...l=1#post178511

Ate dinner at G’s Pizzeria Bar & Grill, in Lake Orion, which was VERY DELICIOUS!

Was looking forward to doing some early evening and night cruising, but there wasn't much action on Woodward due to some severe thunderstorms that passed over the area. Woodward got more wind than rain, but it was still enough to keep most cruisers away. Still managed to do one complete round trip before calling it quits, but only half of that was doors open due to the rain. Pulled off at an ice cream shop to have some ice cream and towel off the D. There was an Elvis impersonator performing across the street, who mentioned my car during his performance in full Elvis accent. Watched what little cruising was taking place for about an hour. Then retired to the hotel so that I could wake early in preparation for the main event.

Pics to follow.

--Josh S.

VIN
    Day 4 Report - Saturday Main Event:

Woke early and got the car ready. Weather was perfect! Started cruising at around 8am. Cruised until 12pm, which allowed 2.5 round trips. Stopped at the Bloomfield Hills Mercedes dealership to participate in the DeLorean display being put on there by the various surrounding clubs. Chatted with Rich W, Tony S, and Bill S, and showed my Vredestein Sportrac 5 Giugiaro Design tires to an interested member of the Detroit club (if you're reading this, I'll text you with the info I promised shortly). Met up with Andrew and hung out with him and his girlfriend (yes, she really does exist ). Also had an absolutely FANTASTIC time catching up with the POGs, Chris D and Jeff S - always a pleasure!

In typical Woodward fashion, we attempted to organize an in-line cruise, but it ended up being more like organized chaos. It was good meeting and chatting with a Canadian owner to whom I gave a ride to during the cruise (sorry I forgot your name) - his car is currently undergoing a frame-off restoration at DPI, but he did have a late-model Porsche Boxster at the cruise. I was separated from the rest of the group early on and only caught up right before others started dropping out. Such is Woodward.

Dropped my new Canadian friend back at the Merc dealership and attempted to get another full round trip of cruising in. This venture started at 3pm and lasted until 8:30pm - 5.5 hours to do 32 miles! Woodward was packed!!! Hooked up with a random Bricklin SV-1 for about 6 miles.

Stopped at the same ice cream place as before and had dinner there. Several spectators took pics with my car before I departed back to the hotel. The Canadians staying at an adjacent hotel were having a burn-out contest in the parking lot, so I checked that out for an hour or so before retiring for the night.

And that was the Woodward Dream Cruise 2015

Sunday was little more than waking up and driving to the ferry, which was a much better trip across the Lake for me this time round with nothing but smooth water (though I did take a Dramamine, so that could have helped me as well)

--Josh S.