Thread: BTTF Time Machine Rental Fees

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN

BTTF Time Machine Rental Fees

I'm wondering approximately how much money one can earn by renting out a BTTF DeLorean Time Machine.

What got me to thinking about this is the case of Adam Kontras, the internet vlogger who purchased a VideoBob build and subsequently got into a huge pissing match with Bob over his business practices and inferior quality.

According to the pissing match thread over on Talk, Bob delivered the finished product to Kontras on or about May 20, 2014:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?97...s-in-Hollywood

According to Kontras, he earned enough money in rentals of his BTTF DeLorean Time Machine to have fully paid for the VB conversion as of March 19, 2015:

http://www.4tvs.com/Journey/2015/ent...20-031915.html

In the video, he claims that the rental fees earned that completely paid for the conversion accrued in as little as a 2.5 month time frame, despite him having had the car for roughly 10 months.

The check that he holds up in the video, in payment for rental services of his BTTF DeLorean Time Machine, shows an amount of $5,940.85 - and that's just one gig that was done for a real estate investment firm called Passco Companies, LLC.

$6k for one gig!?!?!

And $25k-$30k (what I'm assuming is the cost of the VB conversion) in 2.5 (or 10) months!?!?!?!

Here I am paying $5-$15 registration fees to enter my car into legitimate car shows!

Is this legit, or is Kontras full of crap?

What are the experiences of other Time Machine owners?
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Good question, as I'd like to rent out my "normal" DeLorean for shoots and events, and the going rate for collectibles or exotics is anything from $250-500 a day. I think that him getting that much is probably due to the upcoming anniversary of BTTF, and once that's passed, he won't get as many rentals or as much money.

I think you can get a lot more than $250-$500/day, depending on how it's used. You just need to find the right kind of interested party. Look for folks who want to drive a DeLorean in their wedding. They will be well dressed, clean, and usually ready to splurge.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I've been struggling with the rental amount to ask for a stock DeLorean.

I was thinking about $750.00/day because the average rate of a BTTF car is, supposedly, $1,500.00/day.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

There is a local outfit that rents out some pretty cool classic and vintage cars for weddings, and I sent my info to them - but I think they're charging something stupid like $75 bucks for the 15 minutes they'll be in the car to take it down the street and around the corner.
    So I've been putting an ad in Craiglist for San Diego to LA - under creative services, talent, crew - and a day rate of $800, but I get a lot of "Can you do a lot less?" or something along those lines. I need to find a better place to advertise, as I have to renew my craigslist ad, and actually some dork flagged one of my ads as inappropriate.

BTTF Time Machine Rental Fees

If they cant afford $800 a day, then they really didnt need a DeLorean, and a Mustang would probably serve their purposes just as well. These cars take a lot to keep in top shape and the price should reflect that.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    some dork flagged one of my ads as inappropriate.
    Unfortunately, Chad has a lot of experience with this happening - some people are just a-holes
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Unfortunately, Chad has a lot of experience with this happening - some people are just a-holes
    Indeed.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

One guy - who I'm pretty sure flagged it, emailed to ask if could rent it so he could smoke weed outside a club to celebrate something...