Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Holds Ignition Tumbler To The Steering Column?

What Holds Ignition Tumbler To The Steering Column?

Finally got around to taking my jambed ignition tumbler off. I am now ready to separate the yoke (Part #32) from the tumbler: http://store.delorean.com/images/Cat...arge/3-4-1.gif

What are the two smooth heads I am looking at -- Rivets? Tamper proof screws?

Just need to know whether to drill them out or slot them to turn them out.

Bill Robertson

BTW: a snapped off ignition key works perfectly to turn the ignition switch itself -- if I can't figure out how to get the tumbler off the column I may just leave it in place and drive the car with my stub.

Bill Robertson

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I believe that Andrew changed out the ignition tumbler on one of his cars - he should be to help with this one.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Administrator
    VIN
    They are tamper proof screws. They are supposed to be removed with a punch and hammer to tap them counter clockwise. However, using a dremmel with a cutting wheel to notch a groove suitable for a large flat head screw is every effective.

Administrator
    VIN
    Correction: very effective

Make sure to lower the column to the bottom of travel and pull it closest to you to maximize working room. Once the screws break free from their initial torque they turn with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    BTW: a snapped off ignition key works perfectly to turn the ignition switch itself -- if I can't figure out how to get the tumbler off the column I may just leave it in place and drive the car with my stub.

Bill Robertson
    Hey Bill,

Just a word of caution if you are planning on driving without the tumbler cylinder still physically in place...

My ignition switch fell apart a couple seasons ago. I hadn't realized it, but before I got my car, it had been taken apart and where one of those pins had been removed, they put what was basically a sheet metal screw in to keep it together.

It happened to finally fall out in my driveway, but guess what else happens if that cylinder is removed? It will allow the steering column interlock deadbolt to engage. That scared me a little thinking if that time bomb had fallen out on me while at highway speeds what would have happened at the next corner.

Keep that in mind if you drive the car without it. If you are using the broken off key to turn the ignition switch itself, maybe you are doing so with the whole assembly removed and just the electrical hanging there?

IMG_1091.jpgIMG_1094.jpg

EDIT: if you are talking about getting the entire ignition switch right off the car, then yea, like Andrew said, you need to get the two tamper proof screws out on top. Dremel a gouge in them and then turn them out. The pins I were referring to are just within that tumbler cylinder that keep it secured inside the ignition switch casing itself. It is that piece (shown in my picture with the key in it laying on the bench) which if removed like that will leave you with nothing to stop the steering column from getting locked.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

My tumbler is jambed in the run position.

If I do remove it obviously I will have to put some spacer washers between the steering wheel and the steering column to prevent the steering wheel lock from engaging.

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    For some reason the stock DMC ignition likes to eat keys. I broke one in 4194 back in 2002 when the car had roughly 50,000 miles on in. I'm not sure whether it is an issue with the key design, the lock cylinder or both. In light of this issue, I would recommend that owners keep an eye on their key for hairline fractures.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    My tumbler is jambed in the run position.

If I do remove it obviously I will have to put some spacer washers between the steering wheel and the steering column to prevent the steering wheel lock from engaging.

Bill Robertson
    You need to remove the whole assembly and give it to a locksmith. I usually remove the "shearbolts" with a hammer and punch. I have replacement NOS bolts as well as machined "Allen" bolts if you want it to be more easily serviced in the future. Who steals Deloreans these days anyway? They'd stand out like a sore thumb. The ball brg thats used to slow down key insertion wears the housing and causes jamming. I have a good locksmith who's repaired many cylinders for me if you can't find someone local. I believe Ed Uding has remade the tumbler bodies and replacing it would be the best fix.
    Rob

Administrator
    VIN
    The previous owner drilled out 5052's lock cylinder, so via some research on DMC UK forum that an ignition lock cylinder from a 1980 Rover SD-1 would work. The part number is CRC3914. Despite the picture of the part, the one I received (which came in a 35 year old Rover box) was missing its upper mounting bracket. With a couple minutes of work I adapted my stock DMC bracket to fit. Furthermore, the Rover unit uses a different plug for the ignition wiring. Thus, rather than swapping the plug, I simply loosened the small Phillips set screw and swapped the existing switch from 5052.

Also, the Rover ignition uses a different key blank.

I got the last one that Rimmer Brothers had in stock, but I recently verified that BritCar still has them available. With the dollar to pound exchange rate the price is about $95 plus shipping. From what I recall the shipping cost was around $20.

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.ph...keys_sd1_rover