Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Holds Ignition Tumbler To The Steering Column?

VIN
    So I'm in a sticky situation. I lost my ignition key and don't have a spare.

I was going to pull the tumbler so a lock smith can rekey it but can't figure this mess out.

Attached if a picture of how far I've gotten. Any suggestions?

An unfortunately the key code under the headliner doesn't match the ignition. I had a lock smith cut me a new key from the code and it didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Administrator
    VIN
    I just looked through the pics I took when I had my column out. I'm not able to determine how to get any further with it than you are.

Worst-case scenario; would bringing the whole column assembly to a locksmith an option? It's no biggie to remove it.

Administrator
    VIN
    The lock assembly is held in place by two sheer bolts on the upper side of the assembly. The technically proper way to remove the sheer bolts is to unscrew them using a punch and hammer. However as an alternative, you can use a dremel tool to cut slots in the sheer bolts effectively converting them to flat headed screws that you can remove with a large flat headed screwdriver.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The lock assembly is held in place by two sheer bolts on the upper side of the assembly. The technically proper way to remove the sheer bolts is to unscrew them using a punch and hammer. However as an alternative, you can use a dremel tool to cut slots in the sheer bolts effectively converting them to flat headed screws that you can remove with a large flat headed screwdriver.

I understand how to remove the entire assembly, but won't the locksmith still need to remove the tumbler once it is out of the assembly? I was thinking I could just remove the tumbler and hand it to a locksmith instead of removing the whole assembly.

If I do end up removing the whole assembly it won't be too bad. From what I can tell, this car has normal bolts holding it in place.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Administrator
    VIN
    If you remove the switch from the lock make sure not to lose the metal tab that connects the switch to the lock cylinder..from what I understand it is NLA.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I understand how to remove the entire assembly, but won't the locksmith still need to remove the tumbler once it is out of the assembly?
    I'm too scared to go back and fix my post. What I meant to say is, "Won't the locksmith still need to remove the tumbler once the assembly is out of the car?"

VIN
    Wouldn't a competent locksmith know how remove a tumbler?
    -Luke / 10270 / Superman 3 Turbo Kit

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Wouldn't a competent locksmith know how remove a tumbler?
    I suppose so. But keep in mind, today's lock smiths work on modern cars.

I'm just trying to do as much as I can in advance to save the locksmith some time. Time is money.

I've got $150 coverage with AAA and I'd like to keep the bill below that amount.

Also, goodhearted James at DMCH offered to take a look at the key the locksmith cut with the lock code under the door. I'm pretty sure the ignition tumbler was changed out and it doesn't match the code, but James said there is a chance the locksmith might have cut it wrong.

From this point on, I highly recommend that everyone send James a picture of your keys so he can decipher the codes and add them to his fancy smancy database. Had I done this (or made a spare key) I wouldn't be in this jam.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I suppose so. But keep in mind, today's lock smiths work on modern cars.

I'm just trying to do as much as I can in advance to save the locksmith some time. Time is money.

I've got $150 coverage with AAA and I'd like to keep the bill below that amount.

Also, goodhearted James at DMCH offered to take a look at the key the locksmith cut with the lock code under the door. I'm pretty sure the ignition tumbler was changed out and it doesn't match the code, but James said there is a chance the locksmith might have cut it wrong.

From this point on, I highly recommend that everyone send James a picture of your keys so he can decipher the codes and add them to his fancy smancy database. Had I done this (or made a spare key) I wouldn't be in this jam.
    No thanks, I'm just gonna let my original key break. I'm that kinda guy.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    No thanks, I'm just gonna let my original key break. I'm that kinda guy.
    Whats ironic is I've nagged people for years about the importance of having an extra trunk release cable and keeping spare parts in the car. I take great pride in my spare tire.

I used to have a spare set of keys and misplaced them somehow. I probably lost them in the truck fire.

Anyway, I had a handful of blanks that I was going to get cut. Never got around to it and now I'm in this position.