Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion - OVERHEAT!!!! Bill, please help.

VIN

Carb Conversion - OVERHEAT!!!! Bill, please help.

So with the vehicle still on jack stands (thankfully), we were idling and refilling the a/c system and we quickly noticed the car overheat and the antifreeze boil and leak out. I'm concerned that something that I unplugged in the teardown was not plugged back in on the rebuild with the carb. However, I was to understand that the TTS is no longer needed, so can someone tell me what I need to do? I'm really stumped.

Bleed the air out.

May I humbly suggest a radiator self bleeder in addition to the standard thermostat neck self bleeder. Makes refilling the cooling system a snap --- just fill it up and start the engine: http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...-Self-Bleeders

If you fill the coolant expansion tank all the way up it will spit out excess coolant as the coolant expands, just like an old fashioned (non-recovery) radiator. There will always be an air gap at the top of the coolant expansion tank, about halfway up or so. Make sure your overflow hose isn't pointed at the exhaust system or you will get a heart stopping cloud of steam.

Bill Robertson

Were your cooling fans running? I would hope so since you were running the AC.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    What bill is saying is run the car let the thermostat open, and then gently
    Remove the top small radiator hose on the pass side.
    When the air all comes out and rad fluid is spurting out gently put it back on.
    When I first took my D around the block I overheated too and that was the problem.
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 06-28-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

Actually what Bill is saying is reroute that bleeder hose to a tee in the heater core return line, then it will bleed the radiator automatically -- no need to pull that hose off ever again.

Bill Robertson

Actually what bill was saying at the midwest open house was he wished lou and boo was there!!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by tom kish vin.4357 View Post
    Actually what bill was saying at the midwest open house was he wished lou and boo was there!!
    Really? I doubt that. You sure won't catch him sending any nice words my way anymore, that's for sure!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Really? I doubt that. You sure won't catch him sending any nice words my way anymore, that's for sure!
    Timely response, Lou!!!

Consider this a warning Michael's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    Timely response, Lou!!!

https://youtu.be/DZD95uehQFE

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

VIN
    Yeah, I'm quick !

I'm trying to find info on my carb's falling on its face problem and it's not just at low rpms. If I put the car in gear and have the rpms up high, let off the gas completely, when I push on the pedal it still stumbles from closed to open throttle plates. Thinking of putting in new accelerator pump, or just swapping back to the original carb that was on this Peugeot manifold even though that carb had stripped jet threads.
    I went from having the worlds fastest naturally aspirated prv delorean to the most stumbly off the line one.
    Since our falling out, Bill sweared he would never help me again. I'm trying to research the site to find info.
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 01-27-2016 at 09:32 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap