Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FILTER For Sale

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PS: I visited the thread you mentioned

You can tell this guy a few things for me.
    First, the filters most definately are not designed to be cleaned. You can only see a small triangle of the filter media, and only one side of that. People grind them apart at the edges and bolt mount eyelets to separate them and crip them back together with a cut brass tube and hope they stay together. According to DMC, the filters are supposed to be replaced after the first 1,000 miles, then every 15k miles or 12 months(whichever comes first).

Second...I have been running this filter for a little over 500 miles as of now. Guy has probably never even seen a picture of this filter before he started bashing it. No problem. Only 240 people will have one(keeping 7 for myself and giving a few away)...scratch that. I have been pre selling the hell out of them and almost everyone is ordering 2-4 filters. There may not be any left to sale by the time they are actually here which is why I haven't been advertising them heavily. I have been working on this project for 10 months at great great expense to myself, if my progress thread and test results(in my personal car) and pictures do not convince you then so be it. I assume there are about 3,000 automatic cars left, less than 10% of them will have filters.

Jason has quite a unique personality that doesn't translate very well in text...!, he loves his automatic cars and is the main cheerleader of the UK auto owners! Again it's difficult to translate what he meant, because, well Jason is Jason (if you met him you'd understand! ), but he's naturally concerned about the quality of some parts that certain vendors have had made in China for example, and is basically saying "they don't make them like they used to". I think a few of us missed out on the early debate stages of why these are being made, how they are made etc. and there is a general interest in what they do, what happens when one breaks, why some people choose to not use them, etc. All debate is good and helps everyone understand a bit more. I see some people talk about having bought new Renault ones recently too - but I'm assuming they are no longer made at all?

Countering Jason being Jason, typical comments are more along the lines of:
    I have an auto with no filter and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It's guys like this who have the nuts to take a risk to produce NLA parts that will keep us on the road.

Please stock these filters to save on postage etc.
    It's something we have a definite interest in, our lower ball joints for example being our most famous example (now stocked by every DeLorean vendor), particularly that you're doing it "properly" and not for profit.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Chad and Arran. This DML post poses some very informative reading, especially the follow up comments. keep in mind it's about 13 years old too:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/autotransfilter.html

Notice the back and fourth about the mesh size? We (the manufacturer and myself) addressed that. The manufacturer said the OE filter mesh looked a little restrictive and suggested we open it up a little, which I did agree to especially since I had read that before. It's still tight, very dense and it works very well as observed after my 400 mile test drive.

As far as backwashing, that may work if you didn't have the baffle plate in place. Even if the baffle plate were gone, it still wouldn't dislodge all the particles (ever tried to clean a pool skimmer bucket? Now try and clean it when it's behind a set of mini blinds) It covers up 60% of the screen and the ONLY way to clean it properly is to dissassemble it. The guy on the UK forum says he flushed his and it's "clean as a whistle"...how do you know? You can only see 10% of the mesh! When you do this all you are doing is cleaning the part you can see. If you look at the pics in the DML post you can see the concentration of debris around the edge. The baffle is covering most of it so that doesn't get cleaned, in fact any contaminates just get caught up behind it or around the edges and rebroadcasted once the fluid pressure is applied.

I knew there would be detractors, I knew there would be people who said they were interested only to back out when it came time to order, and that is the main reason I had such a small supply made. In hindsight I may have underestimated the demand since pre sales are going so well. Once these are gone, I'm sure there will be more, but you will just have to wait another 20 years.

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Considering that 90% of owners use their cars as intermittent / weekend, fair weather only specialty vehicles, a new filter should be at THE VERY TOP of every auto trans D owner out there!

Think about it. Metal particulate suspended in ATF will eventually settle to the bottom of the vessel it resides in by the functions of gravity, density, and buoyancy - especially when the vehicle is allowed to sit for extended periods/intervals between uses. This of course means that every time an irregularly used car is started, there is a large amount of particulate (relatively speaking) accumulated around the magnet and filter (which sits near the bottom of the pan), that will instantly overwhelm the filter, with particulate saturating the mesh screen capture grid/media that's used within it.

Accordingly, logic would dictate that with how a majority of D owners actually use their cars, auto trans owners would want to change such filters even more frequently than what's called for in the factory maintenance schedule / workshop manual if they're wanting the very best for their car's transmission.

It's actually quite ludicrous that the large vendors were more interested in developing cosmetic only reproductions and/or so-called upgraded parts (of dubious actual necessity/functionality), while ignoring such a vital and critical component such as this for as long as they have.

Hats off to Michael! He DA MAN for doing all this - and especially at the announced prices! WOW is all I can say!!!!

If I had an auto car, I'd be placing my order for a lifetime's supply of replacements filters, just begging him to take my money.....
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Josh!

It's good that you don't need one because vin#1798 is on my blacklist.

Although the manual states a service every 12 months or 15k miles I am in the same boat as Dave Swingle. He suggests servicing it every other oil change. While you are changing the oil, it's so easy to remove the other drain plug and drain the fluid. Now as far as the filter goes, I don't see a need to change it based on time alone. It's all metal, nothing to break down and deteriorate. I would just change it out at the 15k mileage intervals. DeLoreans don't generally get driven much, but now even cars that are considered "low mileage" are starting to see over 10k miles. I think these filters are hitting a very ripe market.

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

VIN
    Thanks Josh!

It's good that you don't need one because vin#1798 is on my blacklist.
    SWEET - that makes three places that I've been perma-banned from: DPI, DMCTalk, and Michael's Trans Filter Emporium!

I just might be more banned than Bill, though to my knowledge, I've yet to be banned from the DML....

--Josh S.

VIN
    Noone will EVER be more banned than Bill!

Mark my words...
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah Bill is banned from buying a filter for his 5 speed.

VIN
    Oh yeah Bill is banned from buying a filter for his 5 speed.
    Don't forget to send out a restriction prohibiting your purchasers from having Bill assist them with the install...

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    No filters yet. They are not exactly late getting here, but it should be any day now. Maybe I will get in touch with them tomorrow just to get an update.

VIN
    No filters yet. They are not exactly late getting here, but it should be any day now. Maybe I will get in touch with them tomorrow just to get an update.
    Quality is always worth the wait

--Josh S.