Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FILTER For Sale

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries

Cool New AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FILTER For Sale

UPDATE 8/4/2015
    Filters are now in stock and ready to ship.

Buy here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Aut...-/131597394095 or read on for more ordering options

20150804_190351.jpg 20150804_190425.jpg 20150804_173642.jpg

So after much calculation of cost including prices of mailers, shipping costs, gaskets, magnets, payment fees, etc. I have set prices accordingly:

Filters:
    Filters are $46.00 each. Each filter will include one free cork mounting gasket...this is a DMC original part that I ordered so you the customer will not have to order this cheap gasket and pay shipping+handling for a $1.00 part.

U.S. Shipping:
    Shipping is $3.00 for the first filter, and $1.00 for each additional filter. IE, if you want two filters, then you would send 46.00x2 and 4 dollars shipping for a total of $96.00 (shipping is probably a bit more for the west and less for the east, but with tracking and cost of mailers, I will be lucky to break even and I wanted to set a flat fee to keep things simple.

Overseas Shipping:
    UPDATED If you are located in the UK, the Delorean UK forum is now carrying them in their store:

http://www.deloreanclub.uk/automatic...on-filter.html

Other parts of the world: Flat rate boxes are cheap shipping and I will have some new shipping quotes for 5-25 filters and up soon. These rates are extremely reasonable (about 2 bucks per filter) so if you have a lot of auto boxes in your corner of the world get together and make a group buy and I will take care of you with shipping costs. As I stated on the UK board, it might be better for you guys to get together and have one person accept shipment off all filters and distribute from there either at a meet or local mail. Shoot me a PM with your address and quantity desired and I will give you a quote.

Magnets
    If you need a magnet, please include $1.00 for each magnet desired. They are as close to the OE size that I could find. You can see the comparison that they are the same size, but the new magnet is a bit thinner. However the new one is N35 neodymium which is about 4 times stronger than the ferrite stock magnets. You only need one for the factory configuration but I left my OE magnet on the filter and put the N35 in the pan itself. Judging on how much metal they catch, I think having one in the pan corner is good placement. PS: If you buy on eBay the magnet is automatically included.
    20150602_192744.jpg

You can pm me for payment details

If you like, you can leave a note detailing what quantities you would like but it's not necessary. I can see the total sent and figure out what you want. I will send you an email back to confirm that I received your payment.
    Please make sure your PayPal mailing address is correct. You can use a credit card with PayPal or your bank account. You may also send a check, money order, etc. to my mailing address (I will send it via PM or email). If you have any questions or need more information, you can either PM me or e-mail me at the e-mail above.

You can also order through my eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Aut...-/131597394095

fl4.jpg

PS: For the pan gasket itself, you can use gasket maker "Right Stuff" RTV silicone. (This is what the DMC franchises do), or obtain one from DPI http://www.deloreanindustries.com/29...ceted_search=0

Again thanks to everyone who helped with this project with a special mention to Chad Krause (Dracula) and to Dave Swingle for his input and advice as well as everyone who contacted me personally expressing interest or just to say thanks.
    Michael

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    So glad to hear this! I can't wait. I've been putting off fixing a leak in the transmission pan gasket for this very reason.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Thanks Michael, Payment sent for 3.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I'll need a magnet; I love the idea of the stronger replacement.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    hi my name is jorge figueroa from puerto rico
    i want to know the shipping cost to puerto rico
    puerto rico is a US territory

my email is:
    p51piloto@hotmail.com

thanks
    Last edited by jorgelfigueroa; 06-16-2015 at 07:23 AM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jorge! I think I sold you a left fender a few years ago.

Looks like you are looking at $3.75 for one filter. I just picked one zip code for PR (00603) and I assume the price would be unaffected no matter which code I used.

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

VIN
    Hi Michael - like what you are doing here. We have just become aware of this, and I have posted a link here on the UK board: http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4782 - there seems to be some appreciation for what you are doing and certainly some interest in them in Europe. Our store at www.deloreanclub.uk stocks and sells parts at non-profit prices mainly in the UK and Europe, but worldwide for things like our world-famous lower ball joint, and I think it would be a good idea for us to stock a few, with magnets. I don't know the size of the auto market here, but we'd certainly be happy to pay for at least 10 to stock. Whilst there isn't much of a saving on the shipping price (I don't know the weight but domestic shipping would be about $5), but the biggest advantage to our residents would be speed and the guarantee of avoiding customs charges. For all goods sent from the USA to UK we pay 20% tax, plus a handling fee of about $13. This tax applies to the total value declared on the item including shipping - on all items over $56 marked as a "gift", or all commercial item of over $23 (including shipping). This is not a tax we'd want to pay on this occasion.
    It has been known that people bring back a load of parts in a suitcase - this just requires timing! I can certainly make some enquiries as to who might be holidaying over there in the next few months.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arranj View Post
    Hi Michael - like what you are doing here. We have just become aware of this, and I have posted a link here on the UK board: http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4782 - there seems to be some appreciation for what you are doing and certainly some interest in them in Europe. Our store at www.deloreanclub.uk stocks and sells parts at non-profit prices mainly in the UK and Europe, but worldwide for things like our world-famous lower ball joint, and I think it would be a good idea for us to stock a few, with magnets. I don't know the size of the auto market here, but we'd certainly be happy to pay for at least 10 to stock. Whilst there isn't much of a saving on the shipping price (I don't know the weight but domestic shipping would be about $5), but the biggest advantage to our residents would be speed and the guarantee of avoiding customs charges. For all goods sent from the USA to UK we pay 20% tax, plus a handling fee of about $13. This tax applies to the total value declared on the item including shipping - on all items over $56 marked as a "gift", or all commercial item of over $23 (including shipping). This is not a tax we'd want to pay on this occasion.
    It has been known that people bring back a load of parts in a suitcase - this just requires timing! I can certainly make some enquiries as to who might be holidaying over there in the next few months.
    I would be more than happy to work with you guys. Shoot me a pm or email when you are ready or have someone who is coming my way.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    PS: I visited the thread you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by delorean12uk from the uk forum
    There should be nothing wrong with the originals, they are designed to be cleaned out. Judging by the run of after market parts we have been receiving lately, would you really trust one of those in your auto box???? if it fails it's good bye auto box!!!
    You can tell this guy a few things for me.
    First, the filters most definately are not designed to be cleaned. You can only see a small triangle of the filter media, and only one side of that. People grind them apart at the edges and bolt mount eyelets to separate them and crip them back together with a cut brass tube and hope they stay together. According to DMC, the filters are supposed to be replaced after the first 1,000 miles, then every 15k miles or 12 months(whichever comes first).

Second...I have been running this filter for a little over 500 miles as of now. Guy has probably never even seen a picture of this filter before he started bashing it. No problem. Only 240 people will have one(keeping 7 for myself and giving a few away)...scratch that. I have been pre selling the hell out of them and almost everyone is ordering 2-4 filters. There may not be any left to sale by the time they are actually here which is why I haven't been advertising them heavily. I have been working on this project for 10 months at great great expense to myself, if my progress thread and test results(in my personal car) and pictures do not convince you then so be it. I assume there are about 3,000 automatic cars left, less than 10% of them will have filters.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PS: I visited the thread you mentioned

You can tell this guy a few things for me.
    First, the filters most definately are not designed to be cleaned. You can only see a small triangle of the filter media, and only one side of that. People grind them apart at the edges and bolt mount eyelets to separate them and crip them back together with a cut brass tube and hope they stay together. According to DMC, the filters are supposed to be replaced after the first 1,000 miles, then every 15k miles or 12 months(whichever comes first).

Second...I have been running this filter for a little over 500 miles as of now. Guy has probably never even seen a picture of this filter before he started bashing it. No problem. Only 240 people will have one(keeping 7 for myself and giving a few away)...scratch that. I have been pre selling the hell out of them and almost everyone is ordering 2-4 filters. There may not be any left to sale by the time they are actually here which is why I haven't been advertising them heavily. I have been working on this project for 10 months at great great expense to myself, if my progress thread and test results(in my personal car) and pictures do not convince you then so be it. I assume there are about 3,000 automatic cars left, less than 10% of them will have filters.
    I figure I might as well add my two cents in this matter as, to the best of my knowledge, my driving patterns mean that I will be putting more miles on an automatic DeLorean than any other owner this year.

That said, I have no issues with running 30-year-old components on a LOT of my car. Filters of any sort, however, are NOT one of those areas. Michael has done an excellent job of verifying how the filter was intended to be replaced and mentioning how the design is not conducive to cleaning.

While it is well known that the workshop manual is not the end-all be-all source for information about repair and maintenance of these cars, it does get a lot right. Filter replacement being one of those things.

To that individual, I would like to see ONE manual that actually RECOMMENDS cleaning and reusing the transmission filter. The closest recommendation that I could find (not for a DeLorean, as the DeLorean filter design is disposable) was to replace the screen.

Cleaning the filter has become a part of the DeLorean dogmatic maintenance procedures for these cars because the general consensus was that the filter was NLA and that it was better to clean the filter and reinstall it than to run without one or with a dirty filter.

Until Michael undertook this project, DeLorean filters had been completely unavailable since the 1980s. Some owners, myself included, had even resorted to buying extra transmissions for the filters and computers due to their lack of availability.
    -Chad K.