Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HVAC illumination via headlight circuit

VIN
    I've got a "blackout" style panel as well. Its called, I took the bulbs out because I got tired of melting perfectly good decals. When I want to see my AC controls at night, I turn on my dome light. Its elegant and classy.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I've got a "blackout" style panel as well. Its called, I took the bulbs out because I got tired of melting perfectly good decals. When I want to see my AC controls at night, I turn on my dome light. Its elegant and classy.
    Hahaha. I can’t wait to see it with my own eyes on the driving tour later this month!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    A video of my modifications can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Hahaha. I can’t wait to see it with my own eyes on the driving tour later this month!
    Its just like any other car, other than my AC lights don't come on. Honestly, I may have even cut the sockets completely out. I can't remember. I just know I don't need a stinking light behind a temperature knob to know left is hot and right is cold.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Steve should look into Dave's HVAC led panel. It looks great and addressed one thing that always bothered me which was a cracked light channel on my panel. A idiot P.O. tightened it too much and once that path is cracked, light doesn't go any further. With Dave's panel the colors are intense, evenly distributed, and there is no light leaks from around the panel(another DeLorean pet peeve of mine).

All this talk about panels got me motivated to finish my led interior. I finally put a white LED strip in my shift gate, along with some tinted transparent film which gave me a nice even color.
    20170912_162947.jpg20170912_163010.jpgFB_IMG_1505304366229.jpgFB_IMG_1505304380827.jpg

Administrator
    VIN
    I want to mod mine so the panel lights only come on with the headlights. I read Bill's post and Dave's post, but now confused....where & how do I jumper something?

-It looks like Bill removed a relay to insert a jumper, but what about the relay?
    -Dave jumpered something in a harness, but where?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I want to mod mine so the panel lights only come on with the headlights. I read Bill's post and Dave's post, but now confused....where & how do I jumper something?

-It looks like Bill removed a relay to insert a jumper, but what about the relay?
    -Dave jumpered something in a harness, but where?
    Remove the light relay and jumper the red/orange wire to the red/brown wire.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    That's the way I did mine after installing Dave's panel. I never felt the need for daytime illumination(unless you have a blackout panel as mentioned earlier). The reason these panels decay like they do is the constant baking of incadesants on at all times.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Remove the light relay and jumper the red/orange wire to the red/brown wire.
    Thanks Dave, I'll do that ASAP! So the relay isn't needed, but what is it used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    That's the way I did mine after installing Dave's panel. I never felt the need for daytime illumination(unless you have a blackout panel as mentioned earlier). The reason these panels decay like they do is the constant baking of incadesants on at all times.
    Ya....on the way home from my trip I felt the heat off that panel and definitely want to eliminate as much heat as possible. I'll eventually go LED, but for now I'll reduce the run time of the incandescents.