Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's Resto: VIN 4728

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Since it's out, you might want to consider modifying your headliner to a one piece design. It's an easy mod with nice results.
    Sounds good & looks good, got more info? I'm interested to give it a try....

Pop rivet the backer boards together before recovering them. If you are reusing the cardboard backer boards use backing washers on the rivets (I used wide head rivets too). I recommend aluminum or stainless steel rivets to ensure no rust stains ever show through the headliner fabric.

Bill Robertson

Rich, if you want to trade me your original boards for fiberglass ones, see my "parts wanted" thread with pics. Reason for wanting to trade is that I want the most original headliner boards possible to make a pattern from. The fiberglass ones that I have are from DMCH, and have never been covered with fabric.

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1...adliner-boards

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Pop rivet the backer boards together before recovering them. If you are reusing the cardboard backer boards use backing washers on the rivets (I used wide head rivets too). I recommend aluminum or stainless steel rivets to ensure no rust stains ever show through the headliner fabric.

Bill Robertson
    Thanks, last week I ordered an assortment of aluminum rivets & swivel-head riveter.....I'll give it a try.

Large diameter pop rivet versus normal pop rivet:

BackerBoardPopRivet1.jpg

Large diameter pop rivet with large diameter backing washer:

BackerBoardPopRivet2.jpg

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 05-11-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Administrator
    VIN

Closing Plate

The master brake cylinder appears to have been leaking badly; epoxy is peeled off the closing plate and surrounding frame area. So far, I'm only finding surface rust. I'm going to use an angle grinder with a flap wheel to prep, then POR-15 and topcoat with smoke grey.

P5070444.jpg P5070445.jpg

For bonus points, you could throw down some phosphoric acid over it prior to POR-15'ing it. POR-15 sells the same thing called "Metal Prep." It's also sold at Home Depot under the name "Klean Strip Prep 'n Etch."

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...e6F8KKsAWgkoAg

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    For bonus points, you could throw down some phosphoric acid over it prior to POR-15'ing it. POR-15 sells the same thing called "Metal Prep." It's also sold at Home Depot under the name "Klean Strip Prep 'n Etch."

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...e6F8KKsAWgkoAg

I'll give it a try....do you happen to have any before/after pics of something you've used it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'll give it a try....do you happen to have any before/after pics of something you've used it on?

Nope, but I do use it all the time.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    Nope, but I do use it all the time.
    In addition to, or instead of using a flap wheel?