Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's Resto: VIN 4728

Administrator
    VIN

Rich's Resto: VIN 4728

VIN 4728 arrived on 3-27-15. It stayed in my driveway until 5-1-15 while waiting for VIN 10372 to be picked up and transported to it's new owner (*sniff*.)

While parked in the driveway, I cleaned the exterior, changed the oil, and replaced the choke coil. The car would start, run, and drive, but developed an awful rapping noise under the passenger side valve cover. For the rest of the time that it was parked in my driveway I avoided starting it, only cleaned & assessed it.

P3290238.jpg P3290239.jpg

I learned a lot about owning/restoring a DeLorean in the year that I owned 10372, and learned the approach that works for me. I make a spreadsheet to track costs, progress, and maintain a prioritized to-do list. For 4728 I have 3 lists I'll work on simultaneously to reach my goal of having it on the road for short drives before snow season this year:

Get it safely running/driving

Fuel System
    Carburetor adjustment/fine tune running
    Valve adjustment
    Replace Cooling System Hoses
    Rebuild Calipers
    Replace Master Brake Cylinder
    Replace Belts
    Replace Plug Wires
    Replace Oil Sender
    Check all grounding points following Bill's diagram
    Exhaust Manifold Gasket
    Oil change

Cosmetics to stay motivated

Repair/Paint Rear Facsia
    Paint Sunshade Louvre, Black Trim & Side Mirrors
    Clean/Shampoo Carpets, detail interior
    Front & Rear Headliners
    Convex Side Mirrors
    Restore Seats
    Door Seals
    Steering Column Bushing
    LED's
    Clean & Paint Frame and Closing Plate
    Modify pull-straps to later VIN style
    Cargo Net

While I'm in there

Brake Booster clean & paint
    Dynamat
    Fix Tail Lights
    Run speaker wire for future use

Since I want all items checked off before the car leaves my garage, my approach is to disassemble everything necessary and place part orders as I determine what I need. I'll have what I need on hand for multiple projects, so if I get stuck needing something for one project I can hop to a different project while waiting for additional parts/materials (or paint to dry.)

Here's the current status:

-Car on stands
    -All wheels off
    -Driver's side front caliper removed (frozen piston.)
    -Closing plate removed
    -Rear fascia removed & disassembled
    -Headliners removed
    -Seats removed
    -Passenger side valve cover removed
    -Interior vacuumed
    -Parts on hand, part orders pending

I've been taking pics and will post w/descriptions.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 05-23-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Administrator
    VIN

Seat removal

Removing the seats is one of my favorite "first" things to do. Something about it feels especially productive and "familiarizing" to me.

The seats are in decent condition, these pics don't show it well but there are cracks and a small tear. I'll get better pics when I post before/after shots. I'm planning to restore them for now, then probably will replace them someday(a few years from now) at a tech session where Bill is willing to help. For some reason, he doesn't realize what a total f-ing PITA it is -lol.

I contacted Leatherique; they have the OEM grey dye, and a repair kit for fixing cracks.

I'm also going to re-paint the adjustment bars, any suggestions on a close paint match are very much appreciated.

P5090438.jpg

P5090439.jpg

P5090435.jpg

Driver's side had a bottle of Scope mouthwash under the seat, it made the stain seen here:

P5090437.jpg

P5050407.jpg

P5050408.jpg

Quick vacuum job to get rid of the rodent droppings...already looks better.
    P5090443.jpg

Administrator
    VIN

Rear fascia

The rear fascia looks like hell. The paint is peeled (I think it was parked under a tree and sap dripped on it.) and there's a poor quality repair from [what appears to be] a fender-bender. I'm going to repair the crack and repaint the fascia. I bought a plastic-welding kit and expect to be able to fix the crack and make it unnoticeable. The backing panel has a fiberglass repair that appears to have been done without removing it from the car; it doesn't look like it affected the cosmetics, but I might redo it anyway for piece of mind.

Removing it was easy and all the studs are in very good condition; nothing is rusted or broken-off.

P5090413.jpg P5090415.jpg P5090418.jpg P5090418a.jpg P5090430.jpg P5090432.jpg P5090433.jpg P5090440.jpg P5090415.jpg P5090426.jpg
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 05-10-2015 at 12:15 AM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't look bad at all; I'm sure that there'll be issues, but it seems to have held up well.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    http://3mcollision.com/products/plas...-ml-34240.html

I repair a lot of cracked plastic bumpers. Those plastic welders are not the best thing to use.

I will PM you in a day or so with what to buy and how to fix. It's easy and fairly cheap.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    http://3mcollision.com/products/plas...-ml-34240.html

I repair a lot of cracked plastic bumpers. Those plastic welders are not the best thing to use.

I will PM you in a day or so with what to buy and how to fix. It's easy and fairly cheap.
    NOW ya tell me...lol!

Thanks man, I'll look forward to it.

Administrator
    VIN

Headliners

The headliner material is disintegrated as much as I'd expect it can be. The headliner attachment things came off with the with the headliner & visors attached. They appear to be salvageable, so I think I can rivet them back on for re-use.

I removed the material from the boards, gave the boards a once-over with a shop-vac and put them up for now. I plan to clean them up and would like to coat them with fiberglass.

Anybody have tips on cleaning them? They look like something that can fall apart if I use the wrong type of stuff on them. Also, there's some type of foam rubber thing by the dome light. I'm guessing it's not OEM and was put there by the PO when the visor retainers broke loose...any input on that?

P5070434.jpg P5070435.jpg P5070436.jpg P5070437.jpg P5070438.jpg P5070439.jpg P5070441.jpg P5090444.jpg

Administrator
    VIN
    Since it's out, you might want to consider modifying your headliner to a one piece design. It's an easy mod with nice results.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Since it's out, you might want to consider modifying your headliner to a one piece design. It's an easy mod with nice results.
    SinglePieceHeadliner.jpg

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I'd love to do the one peice headliner but I have the front still installed and the rear peice was made from peg board so I don't know if that will work.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original