Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148
Results 1,471 to 1,479 of 1479

Thread: Rich's Resto: VIN 4728

Administrator
    VIN
    I'm mistaken about not having lock washers; I just found pics when I did the axles, and I see split lock washers.

I'd swear I recall thinking I thought it odd not to have lock washers, but maybe I was thinking something about the plates.

I'll get back in there & replace all the lock washers.
    Bro....do you own a DeLorean?

VIN
    I responded over on 'Talk too, but I see there is actual discussion here lol.

I wouldn't bother with the lock washers, just put a drop of loctite on each one and retorque to spec. Split lock washers don't really do much of anything when it comes to 'locking'. Once tightened down in a bolted joint they act just like a flat washer.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I responded over on 'Talk too, but I see there is actual discussion here lol.

I wouldn't bother with the lock washers, just put a drop of loctite on each one and retorque to spec. Split lock washers don't really do much of anything when it comes to 'locking'. Once tightened down in a bolted joint they act just like a flat washer.
    Thanks Mark, it appears that's exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I got lots of those, not sure how they do any locking.
    They are used to distribute the tightening force, OR, as in this case, to provide a harder/softer surface for a lock washers to bite into.

Actually, split lock washers don't act like flat washers. Flat washers are used to evenly distribute the tightening force (usually over an area greater than the nut or bolt head)...or for spacing. Split lock washers are used to create tension to prevent loosening due to vibrations. Note they spiral in the opposite direction of the threads for a better bite to prevent turning too (being why Bitsy flipped his plates over). (Toothed lock washers are all about the bite...)

Quit wasting your time re-engineering and use it to burn the roads up, damn it!!!

EDIT: Make sure you use washers of the same grade as the nut/bolt. OEM
    Last edited by SteveSux; Yesterday at 04:55 PM.

What you can do is safety wire the bolts. It would look neat anyway. That is the sure way to prevent bolts getting loose on aircraft.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSux View Post
    ~snip~

Quit wasting your time re-engineering and use it to burn the roads up, damn it!!!

EDIT: Make sure you use washers of the same grade as the nut/bolt. OEM
    Brah....I've been driving almost every day. I think you missed my earlier post where I mentioned all the bolts came loose, a few were coming out. I tightened them all, but I'll need to go back in & resolve it permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Brah....I've been driving almost every day. I think you missed my earlier post where I mentioned all the bolts came loose, a few were coming out. I tightened them all, but I'll need to go back in & resolve it permanently.
    lol No, I saw that...I was thinking about back when you tossed the OEM bolts for the nice bright shiny new ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    What you can do is safety wire the bolts. It would look neat anyway. That is the sure way to prevent bolts getting loose on aircraft.
    +1 or use the plates with ears on them that you bend up against the flat side of the head. (But....;-)

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I agree....it would look pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSux View Post
    lol No, I saw that...I was thinking about back when you tossed the OEM bolts for the nice bright shiny new ones....
    OHHHH...! OK, I get it now.

Well, the OEM bolts take too long to remove, and I need to move with expediency for the one or two times I'll need to remove my axles.