Page 67 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's Resto: VIN 4728

Administrator
    VIN
    Started getting into my passenger door to change the door handle; what's the significance of writing a date inside the door?

IMG_0892.jpg

Administrator
    VIN
    I replaced the broken passenger-side door handle today....that 1/2 hour job was quite satisfying! I have a replacement for the drivers' side and might proactively replace it soon.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    So do you think you will be driving her this summer?
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So do you think you will be driving her this summer?
    I hope to, but not putting too much pressure on myself. I told my kids I'll try my best to get it on the road for at least one ride before snow flies.

If it was the only thing I had to work in my spare time, I would say: "definitely yes." But....I need to split my time between the car, a remodeling project, and a few other things. If I had gone with the original plan of rebuilding the brakes, replacing all the hoses, then rolling resto it, it would be on the road already. (But I got carried away kept taking things apart.)

In the long run, I'll be "time spent" ahead since I won't be taking stuff apart a second (or third) time....when I reassemble the front end, it'll be done (new upgraded suspension, rebuilt brakes, and everything in that area rebuilt.)

I'm still mentally & financially in a good place, so everything's ok (so far.)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I took my auto for a nice drive today...just sayin
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I took my auto for a nice drive today...just sayin
    LOL...I'm sure you did! Hopefully you didn't go on the highway, I wouldn't want you to be driven mad for want of overdrive!

Administrator
    VIN
    When I removed the door panel today I continued to make observations about the condition of this car. One of the things that keeps me motivated & encouraged is noting the condition of anything that is as good or better than my last car. Although some things aren't as good (Rob did some of the maintenance on 10372, so in that area it has this car beat,) some things are better and clearly this area is one of them.

The lack of impregnation by road salt seems to be evident in more than just the undercarriage....there's corrosion under the door panel of my last car that I believe is from salty moisture. I guess a leaky door seal would also cause that, but if so, road salt would also make it's way into that area as well.

Here are a few pics for comparison:

P5260900.jpgIMG_0906.jpg

So, seeing this makes me again puzzle over [what I believe to be] evidence that the car drove through (or landed in) a riverbed. I'm finding no evidence of moisture or corrosion anywhere, but I keep finding those small stones that I think are riverbed stones. You can see the inside of the door is very clean compared to the previous car I had....things like that give me a boost as the car continues to sit in my garage. -lol! (BTW, we had snow this AM and temps will be in the teens the next few days, so I'm not missing anything yet.)

Administrator
    VIN

Seat Restoration

I feel like I'm making progress, I finished the seats and began re-assembly today:

(Before)
    P5090438.jpg

(After)
    IMG_0910.jpgIMG_0911.JPGIMG_0913.jpgIMG_0916.jpg

(Before)
    P5090439.jpg

(After)
    IMG_0917.jpgIMG_0919.jpgIMG_0920.jpg

Lookin good! Keep it coming!
    Shelby profita

VIN
    The seats look fantastic... where'd you learn to do repairs like that? Would it be difficult to learn for a first timer to DIY, or would I be better off with a professional? Did you completely dye the entire seat, or did you blend into he existing color?

My car has a small cut in the center of the driver's seat from a previous owner. Looks like someone sat down on a screw driver or something and made a puncture. It's been repaired once but it's not seamless by any means.