Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Grady Black Stainless Exterior Screw Kit

DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

VIN
    I've heard of someone using this on the stainless screws: http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-...blackener.html

I had a few non-stainless screws that I used gun bluing on. Seemed to come out alright.

VIN
    That sucks Matt is being given the run around. I have the black stainless taillight screws and license plate bezel screws. They seem to work fine so far. I've had luck finding black coated screws at my Local Ace. They weren't black oxide, but rather more of a semigloss black coating. They might have been for furniture or something.

VIN
    I would like to retract my statement about Rob. He makes a good point in the labor involved in organizing and copying service records as well as the 'mootness' of it considering how much time had passed between the service and me purchasing the car. I realize I was wrong to judge him. Rob, I apologize. I was wrong.
    Last edited by Boo; 05-20-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    https://www.pjgrady.com/product/blac...ior-screw-kit/

Ordered this kit in January of this year. If any of you have ordered it, be advised of the following:

The front marker screw(s) are mismatching. One is a pan head, one is flat. Minor, but why?
    The other (more important) issue is that the screws are too short. The longer screw is flush w/ the lens housing, while the shorter screw protrudes about 3/16". See here:
    Attachment 4761Attachment 4762Attachment 4763

I e-mailed Rob the photos and told him that at least one screw was too short. Here's what he said:

What you didn't tell me nor everyone else was that your car is in pieces and you don't know what the original screws look like. If you had given me this little nugget of information, although I was busily preparing for an overseas trip, I would have understood the problem better and advised you that I'd give you all the time you needed when I was back in the U.S. Your emails began with "It seems the longer screw for the front turn signal is too short. I have your screw kit." which you apparently purchased six months ago. To which I replied "It's shorter than stock but always worked for us. Please advise as stock is longer than needed." We then emailed back and forth five times over two days with me not comprehending how someone could be incapable of removing one screw at a time and substituting the closest looking one in its place. Your first picture showed the lamp from the front so I couldn't really see anything. Then when I saw the second one I thought there must be something wrong with you to be swapping shorter screws from other areas of the car/kit which no one has ever confused before. It was the first time in hundreds of kits sold that anyone seemed so confused as to what fits where. It wasn't until my trip to the tech event in N. Carolina last weekend that someone offered "his car is in a thousand pieces and he has no idea where anything goes". To blame me for the miscommunication is unfair and to wage a public flame campaign under the circumstances is misguided and unfair at best.
    You told me once that you changed your last name because people called you names grammer school but here you are spreading totally misleading information which has prodded others to call me a "dick", "dickface", "prick", and other terms of affection. Sorry but I am not one of the bullies in school who called you names. Maybe they're the ones you should direct your venom at?
    Rob Grady
    Last edited by P. J. Grady Inc.; 05-20-2015 at 06:13 PM.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Not to mention the condescending tone. There was most definitely a better way to handle what he describes as a "non issue" without being a dick.
    I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of talking to you before but for you to form an opinion that I'm a "dick" based on someone else's totally slanted and misleading viewpoint leads me to believe I'm better off taking a pass on that. It's a shame because I like the A.T. filter prtotype you are working on and thought we might do some business together. This forum does not appear to be condusive to that however.
    Rob Grady

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    That sucks Matt is being given the run around. I have the black stainless taillight screws and license plate bezel screws. They seem to work fine so far. I've had luck finding black coated screws at my Local Ace. They weren't black oxide, but rather more of a semigloss black coating. They might have been for furniture or something.
    Matt was not given the run around.I was given the shaft!!!
    Rob

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    I would like to retract my statement about Rob. He makes a good point in the labor involved in organizing and copying service records as well as the 'mootness' of it considering how much time had passed between the service and me purchasing the car. I realize I was wrong to judge him. Rob, I apologize. I was wrong.
    Apology accepted. See I'm easy!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by P. J. Grady Inc. View Post
    What you didn't tell me nor everyone else was that your car is in pieces and you don't know what the original screws look like. If you had given me this little nugget of information, although I was busily preparing for an overseas trip, I would have understood the problem better and advised you that I'd give you all the time you needed when I was back in the U.S. Your emails began with "It seems the longer screw for the front turn signal is too short. I have your screw kit." which you apparently purchased six months ago. To which I replied "It's shorter than stock but always worked for us. Please advise as stock is longer than needed." We then emailed back and forth five times over two days with me not comprehending how someone could be incapable of removing one screw at a time and substituting the closest looking one in its place. Your first picture showed the lamp from the front so I couldn't really see anything. Then when I saw the second one I thought there must be something wrong with you to be swapping shorter screws from other areas of the car/kit which no one has ever confused before. It was the first time in hundreds of kits sold that anyone seemed so confused as to what fits where. It wasn't until my trip to the tech event in N. Carolina last weekend that someone offered "his car is in a thousand pieces and he has no idea where anything goes". To blame me for the miscommunication is unfair and to wage a public flame campaign under the circumstances is misguided and unfair at best.
    You told me once that you changed your last name because people called you names grammer school but here you are spreading totally misleading information which has prodded others to call me a "dick", "dickface", "prick", and other terms of affection. Sorry but I am not one of the bullies in school who called you names. Maybe they're the ones you should direct your venom at?
    Rob Grady
    Rob,

Even though you wrote a novel, you still fail to admit that your screw kit is deficient and you were extremely rude over e-mail. Even now, i cannot comprehend why you responded this way; even getting personal this time.

DMCH sells new front marker lenses with new silver machine screws. They fit great on my car. Your kit does not include machine screws for the front marker lenses. Your kit includes a coarse-thread sheet metal screw.. Therefore it wasnt a simple matter to remove one screw and replace it with the same item. Indeed, you admitted your kit fails to address front fascias that utilize machine screws. Therefore, your kit is deficient.

My car is not in a thousand pieces. I have no idea why you think that you would be in a position to make that call. Ive been driving my car with current VA inspection for at least 30 months now. I recently won 1st place at a local car show just 3 weeks ago. See pics.

I did not mislead anyone. You simply thought that no one else would ever see what you wrote to me. Stop the madness already and apologize.

VIN
    I wasn't involved in this but I can say that Grady is awesome when a problem comes up. One of my Grady boards started acting up after a few years. I tried bending the dead socket to get it to work again but was only able to get it to work long enough to pass my annual inspection. I sent the bad board back to Rob asking if he could repair it. I told him what happened and I was willing to pay to have it repaired if there wasn't a warranty on it.

A little over a week later I got a new board free of charge. I'm a happy customer.

Now if he would just start selling angle drives again.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)