Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Grady Black Stainless Exterior Screw Kit

PJ Grady Black Stainless Exterior Screw Kit

https://www.pjgrady.com/product/blac...ior-screw-kit/

Ordered this kit in January of this year. If any of you have ordered it, be advised of the following:

The front marker screw(s) are mismatching. One is a pan head, one is flat. Minor, but why?
    The other (more important) issue is that the screws are too short. The longer screw is flush w/ the lens housing, while the shorter screw protrudes about 3/16". See here:
    IMG_3055.jpgIMG_3056.jpgIMG_3058.jpg

I e-mailed Rob the photos and told him that at least one screw was too short. Here's what he said:

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Rob Grady <rob@pjgrady.com> wrote:
    It's shorter than stock but always worked for us? Please advise as stock is
    longer than needed?

Rob Grady
    P.J. Grady Inc.
    (631) 589-6224
    www.PJGrady.com
    On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Rob Grady <rob@pjgrady.com> wrote:
    I just fitted both screws and while it is true the shorter one protrudes by 3/4” verses only 1/2”on the longer no one had a problem but you. If your screw plates weren’t all stripped perhaps you would have realized it’s a non-issue as it screws in fine and faster. I’m sorry you can’t be satisfied but you’re the only person that has ever voiced a complaint on my kit while I switched to the shorter screw for price and easer installation in the real world.

Rob Grady
    P.J. Grady Inc.
    (631) 589-6224
    www.PJGrady.com
    I admit that I'm a little insulted that Rob seems to think I cannot make the call when a screw is too short. This comes after 12 years of DeLorean ownership, an engineering degree, and a pending law degree.
    Last edited by Boglin; 05-01-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Not to mention the condescending tone. There was most definitely a better way to handle what he describes as a "non issue" without being a dick.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I can see why; I'd be offended, too. For something more complicated, I could see it as being a user error. Personally, I think you're smart enough to know how a screw and screwdriver work.

On an interestingly relevant note, I've heard that DMC had a lot of issues with screw figment on the front fascias; most notably so on the early cars.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

"If your screw plates weren’t all stripped perhaps you would have realized it’s a non-issue as it screws in fine and faster. I’m sorry you can’t be satisfied but you’re the only person that has ever voiced a complaint on my kit while I switched to the shorter screw for price and easer installation in the real world."

Did John Hervey move to New York?!
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

I used ordinary stainless pan head machine screws on mine. Diameter of the recess in the housing is a hair too small for domestic pan heads (like 1/32"), so I enlarged them slightly on the drill press. I seem to remember deepening the recesses slightly as well so the crown of the head is flush.

Bill Robertson

VIN

Thumbs up

I love the "since you CAN'T be satisfied" bit.
    Definitely reminiscent of Hervey.
    Everyone gloats about Rob Grady but the proof is in the pudding as Bill says.
    When I first bought my car I saw it had Grady stickers on it so I called to ask for a service history and he gave me an attitude and told me that if I wasnt going to use him for service or parts then he wouldn't speak to me nor would be give me any service records. I thought that was a pretty shitty thing to do. I refuse to use him for anything.
    With people like that, I'd rather pay more than give them the satisfaction of them being a total dickface and me patronizing their business.

I did run into him at a friends house and I was cordial but it didnt change my mind about never buying parts from him.

Oh and how does he know that "noone had a problem except you" ? Maybe your the only one who voiced a problem as others but their to his and cursed him under their breath or in private? There's jut too much dickishness to his rude reply. Oh these primadonna vendors in this delorean world !
    Last edited by Boo; 05-01-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Blog Entries
    If this were talk.org this thread would have been deleted quicker than you can say "vendor favoritism".

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If this were talk.org this thread would have been deleted quicker than you can say "vendor favoritism".
    And that is WHY we have DMCToday.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

So then Rob finally looked at the photos I had sent, and said this:

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Rob Grady <rob@pjgrady.com> wrote:
    Wow you are really confused as the short screw pictured is a license lamp screw and the longer one is a license bezel screw. The screws I supply for the T/S lamp are the longer sheet-metal screws (but blk S/S) used in all the 81 cars. The later cars use stainless front t/s machine screws that don’t rust and can be reused. If you have those and they’re not stripped just reuse them. If you need something else I’ll be back from the DMC factry reunion on the 11th and can address it lator that week.

Rob Grady
    P.J. Grady Inc.
    (631) 589-6224
    www.PJGrady.com
    Here is a pic of the screws that Rob intends to be used in the front turn signal housings:
    IMG_3059.jpg

I had tried these, but noticed that the screw heads did not recess into the housing (see pic). For this reason, and because they did not want to thread into my fascia, I assumed they were incorrect or that my fascia's holes were stripped. In fact, my fascia appears to use the (later) machine screw threaded holes, which this kit does not include screws for.

All things considered, it's safe to say that this will be my last purchase from PJ Grady.
    Last edited by Boglin; 05-01-2015 at 01:50 PM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Rob had two choices.., He could help you, or he could be a sarcastic prick, belittle you and eventually help you.

He chose the latter.