Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convex Mirrors

VIN
    I have Tom's mirrors with the heaters wired in, with the factory wires spliced into a relay on the rear defroster so they aren't running all the time. The relay is mounted behind the drivers side back parcel shelf wall. The only downside you have to remember to turn on the rear defroster in order to adjust the mirrors. Not really a big deal since with these mirrors, they're a set-and-forget deal.

My car never sees snow or ice, but on a cool, misty/foggy day they will clear up the side mirrors in short order. The few times I've been caught in a humid fall rain have made it worth the effort.
    -Luke / 10270 / Superman 3 Turbo Kit

VIN
    I wanted to get a set as well. I think Grady is doing the distribution in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    x2.

There are a few wires run out to the door that are not connected to anything.
    Describe another wire that is not connected to anything please.

DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I've got a couple dozen in my engine bay.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

I have the DMCH convex mirrors and must say they are a great safety for eliminating blind spots. You do have to judge pulling back into the lane when passing using your inside rear view mirror. The DMCH convex mirrors are a very wide angle more so than my daily drivers.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Matt, why don't you wire them to a switch so you can turn on and off the heated mirrors?

If that was already suggested I apologize, I honestly just read your first post and replied.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I would tie the heated portion to the rear defog. That way you can turn it on when you need it, and it will turn itself off.

Heated mirrors are nice to clear the glass when you live in a humid environment, or in winter when the mirrors ice or frost over.
    Oh ok Farrar was thinking kinda the same thing as me I see.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

According to the wiring diagram, you could splice the +12V pin of the power mirror switch (1) to the purple wire going to the courtesy lamps. Then disconnect part of the LGW wire going to the defrost switch and reconnect it to the WB wire at the output of the rear defroster timer relay.

By doing this, you don't need to turn on the rear defroster in order to adjust the mirrors, and the mirror heaters will only turn on when the rear defroster is on.

Using the courtesy light circuit would mess up my "dimmer unit logic" if you are using it. Purple wire is just an always +12 volt circuit in original configuration.

What is the current draw of the heaters? You could measure the resistance if you don't have the specification. I would guess it to be 5 to 10 ohms
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/