Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convex Mirrors

Convex Mirrors

http://delorean.neostrada.pl/DMC/mir...structions.pdf

Tom Niemczewski from Poland sells a nice pair of convex mirrors for our cars. I'm about to install mine, but I'm uneasy about this part (from the instructions above):

The heaters which are included with your set are HEATERS. People often confuse
    them with defrosters. They are more than just defrosters. First of all they run
    all the time when the ignition is on. Second, they get VERY HOT!! They will
    exceed the boiling point of water on a warm day. That means that after they are
    on for more than one minute, they might reach a temperature of over 100
    degrees C (212 degrees F). DO NOT TOUCH the mirrors with your bare hands
    after the ignition has been on for more than 30 seconds. You might get burnt. The
    benefit of running the heaters all the time and getting them to such high
    temperatures is that the mirrors will always stay dry no matter what. They will
    melt snow or ice easily. Fog and any condensation will disappear in a matter of
    seconds. Even in rain your mirrors should stay dry because water will evaporate
    quickly from such a hot surface.
    It makes me nervous to be running mirrors that sizzle off water like a frying pan. Maybe we'll leave the heated part out?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I can't see a reason for needing heated mirrors on a DeLorean. These cars never see enough snow or winter weather to justify heated mirrors.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I can't see a reason for needing heated mirrors on a DeLorean. These cars never see enough snow or winter weather to justify heated mirrors.

Exactly what I was thinking....why would you need heated mirrors on a DeLorean?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Heck, I can prove that you don't even need MIRRORS to drive a DeLorean.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

I would tie the heated portion to the rear defog. That way you can turn it on when you need it, and it will turn itself off.

Heated mirrors are nice to clear the glass when you live in a humid environment, or in winter when the mirrors ice or frost over.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

I have a pair of "Multivex" mirrors on my car. While not heated, there are 2 or 3 bends in the mirror that give you an extra wide view, eliminating any blind spots. I can pretty much see every car in my area without having to turn my head (though I still do for safety). These especially come in handy for conversion owners, as you no longer have a back window.

I definitely recommend them to anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I would tie the heated portion to the rear defog. That way you can turn it on when you need it, and it will turn itself off.

Heated mirrors are nice to clear the glass when you live in a humid environment, or in winter when the mirrors ice or frost over.
    Yeah, thanks Farrar. I'll just route those extra 2 wires through the complete length of the door, through the headliner, into the roof box, and then back down inside of the car to the fusebox where I can connect it to the defrost timer circuit. No big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    I'll just route those extra 2 wires through the complete length of the door...
    The wires for the heated mirrors are already there. Just look for the correct color on the harnesses behind the rear speaker panels, and then confirm continuity with your multimeter.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

The wires for the heated mirrors are already there. Just look for the correct color on the harnesses behind the rear speaker panels, and then confirm continuity with your multimeter.
    Good point. Question is where the green/white wire for the mirror heaters splits off from the green/white wire that provides power to the mirror switch. You'd have to make sure you splice into it after it splits, or otherwise you won't be able to adjust the mirrors unless the rear defroster is on.

Bill R. usually knows stuff like this.

VIN
    x2.

There are a few wires run out to the door that are not connected to anything.