Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Bleeders

Stick to Made in USA phillips screwdrivers -- cheap ones wear down very quickly and won't grab the fastener well.

Helpful hint: grind the pointed tip down on a phillips screwdriver and it fits better in a posidrive fastener (DeLoreans are full of posidrives, including the headlight adjusting screws).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Hey Bill, on the radiator bleeder, is there a way to reliably plug the barb on that aluminum coolant pipe?

Replace it with a piece of hose:

LowerRadiatorHose.jpg

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    After 50+ miles of testing, the JB Weld is holding and the bleeder is functioning properly. I encountered a minor setback, but it was nothing a little more money couldn't solve.

After this weekend, I'll be unveiling the results of my plastic coolant bottle study.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Here's what it looks like; not the prettiest, but it'll have to do until the replacement components arrive.

IMG_20150501_180222148_HDR.jpg
    -Chad K.

How are the cable yokes working out? (If they work OK I will use them for future automatic conversions).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    How are the cable yokes working out? (If they work OK I will use them for future automatic conversions).

Bill Robertson
    Excellent so far; tomorrow will be the first long-distance test.
    -Chad K.

Any chance a previous customer can get in on these, too?
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

Parts are sourced from McMaster.

The stud your shift point cable attaches to should already be sitting in a 10-32 tapped hole. Note that McMaster's shoulder bolts have about 1/8" unthreaded before the shoulder -- you'll need to stand the shoulder bolt off with a thick washer otherwise it will pass right through the hole and end up in the dead space (throttle arm is 1/8" thick). On Chad's carb I welded a nut over the hole so the bolt is sitting in ~1/2" of thread.

Chad is using another yoke for the throttle cable (where you have a throttle ball). I did that so he has two identical cable attachments. Again there's a nut welded over the hole to increase thread depth.

Bill Robertson

Note that McMaster's shoulder bolts have about 1/8" unthreaded before the shoulder -- you'll need to stand the shoulder bolt off with a thick washer otherwise it will pass right through the hole and end up in the dead space (throttle arm is 1/8" thick).
    Apparently the dead space is 1/16", not 1/8". I'd still stand the shoulder bolt off with a washer otherwise you'll only have 1/16" of thread engagement:

ShoulderBolt.JPG

Bill Robertson