Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Bleeders

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That poor car sure has been tapped a lot.
    Yeah; no idea WHY bolts keep breaking on it. I had to tap the head AGAIN when I was replacing the two smaller side hoses on the water pump and snapped a bolt on the flange. I had to drill it at an angle and cut out a part of it, but it worked.

Someday I might buy another Stage II package simply because I will have no usable threads left on the heads...
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

If you'd like a fresh start here's an NOS housing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VOLVO-19...031ba0&vxp=mtr

Note that it doesn't have any kind of bleeder at all (Volvo PRV's don't have bleeder barbs -- don't need them) so you'd need to drill & tap it yourself. On the plus side you could tap it NPT from the get go.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Yeah; no idea WHY bolts keep breaking on it.
    Electrolysis/galvanic corrosion. Just be glad you can turn the spark plugs out.

Aluminum engines pretty much suck major league wampum. They're fine for modern day disposable throw away cars, but if you want an engine that's going to last stick with cast iron.

I 100% guarantee nothing built in the year 2015 will still be on the road 30 years from now.

Bill Robertson

Nevermind -- this seller has them cheaper (again, you'd need to drill and tap it): http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Thermost...-/281563278386

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    -Chad K.

That will most likely come with an M10x1 straight thread bleeder screw just like OEM (.394" ~26 TPI). You can thread a 1/8 NPT barb (.392" at the end, 27 TPI) about halfway in before it binds. If you've got a quality (not Made in China) 1/8 NPT tap it's an easy tap to convert the housing to proper NPT threads so you can run the barb all the way down (looks more professional).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I've also ordered a tap; the unwritten step for every repair on my DeLorean...
    -Chad K.

When it comes to taps & dies I am a total Made in USA snob. My experience has been that Made in China taps & dies cut rather imprecise threads. They tend to chip and break out material rather than cut it. I'm certain they dull too quickly, but they also seem to have problems straight out of the box.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I completely agree. A cheap Chinese socket set is OK and I have no complaints about my Chinese screwdrivers, but I loathe my Chinese vice grips.
    -Chad K.

<tangent> Screwdrivers in general are made beefier than they really need to be. You can thank the American tort law system for that. Since everyone knows that screwdrivers are expected to be (mis)used to open paint cans, perform as a chisel, perform as a nail punch, etc, the law has held that these uses are foreseeable misuses.

"If this use was foreseeable to the manufacturer, then the manufacturer has a duty to reduce or avoid the risk or, in the alternative, to warn of the dangers associated with the product."

Even though using a screwdriver to open a paint can is an unintended use, it is a foreseeable use. So that's why screwdrivers are made tougher than they really need to be.
    </tangent>