Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Self Bleeders

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    As I recall, you figured that out over a decade ago...???
    No longer looking for 5 speed D -- Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As I recall, you figured that out over a decade ago...???
    Nah. I'm still a newbie. I didn't get my car until 2009.

In all seriousness, other than variations due to the thermostat, the coolant flowing from the thermostat bleeder back into the tank is roughly the same temperature. I don't see how that would make any difference in AC temps.

I'm happy with my 40-44 degree vent temps but after talking to Stephen Wynn a few months ago I am curious about using a propane blend. r134a is super nice because you can get it anywhere, its cheap, and my vent temps are great. But Wynn said they are using a propane blend called RedTek 12a which gets their temps even lower, low 30's I believe. It costs about $10 a can and you have to order it online.

My AC is working fine but I am curious about experimenting with the stuff. Shoot, I'm tempted to even put straight propane in the system just to see what happens.

Any thoughts?
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    I had a few come through with propane way back, but never converted one over to it. (I had a good source for R12 when it was getting expensive. Then drop-ins came along...) Changing refrigerants changes pressures etc., but if the charge amount is adjusted to compensate, they can do ok (along with a full system flush, correct lubricant, new accumulator/drier, etc.) Conversions make tech data (pressure/temps charts) almost worthless...creating a PITA situation when trying to diagnose one with odd symptoms. (Not good for recovery unit and other equipment either.) I try to get owners to stay stock. But I would reluctantly do R12 to 134a, IF the they did a 'full conversion'.

I forget if pure propane has a problem carrying the lubricant, or, it does well, being one reason some of the drop-ins use it.
    At 40-44 degrees, I'd find something else to play with..lol
    No longer looking for 5 speed D -- Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I am skeptical that most of these bleeder and hose mods solve any actual problems.
    Last weeks experience:

Heads completely drained due to turbo coolant hose disconnection and passenger side block plug removal.
    Heater core drained due to replacement of heater return line.
    Both water pump hoses removed.
    Car sits level so no gravity tricks.

Put almost 2gal of liquid back into the system, massaged return hose on passenger side until you could see coolant squirt out of the bleeder fitting at the header bottle.
    I have the bleed valve at the top of the radiator passenger side. Opened valve, coolant immediately appeared. No air whatsoever.
    Once the car is running I'll know for sure, but the supposedly problematic radiator gives no hint of having trapped air.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI