Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Improve DCS

Recovering the seats can easily be done in the hotel lobby (I've done it before). If an owner wants to do his or her seats at the next DCS, I am more than happy to help.

(Caveat: I helped an owner once who had a broken off hold down stud on his seat track. Fortunately we were able to rustle up a MIG welder and replaced it with an 8mm bolt. I'm not dragging my own welder to DCS, so if your seat tracks themselves need TLC, take care of that before leaving home).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps, once whoever is going to spearhead DCS has been established, we should make a request for a space for owners to be able to work in as an active tech session area to teach restoration work firsthand.

If we can get the OK and some space, I can handle the logistics of managing it; I managed to head up the judging at DCS '09 and I've only had more practice with the Army as a mechanic in the mean time.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

That sounds great. I buy the parts from the vendor at DCS, thus saving shipping... then I take my car to a bay where I can do the work under the watchful eye of an experienced mechanic, who can tell me what I am doing right and wrong, and who will be able to grant me access to the tools that I don't have in order to do the job properly. And the whole thing is open for Q&A from the audience. Sounds good, but I wonder if DCS could pay the vendors enough for their time; they would essentially otherwise be volunteering to supervise work, and step in when needed, for less than what they are normally paid when at their home shops. So I can see some good and some bad of this scheme.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

VIN
    Vendors do this all the time at tech days. I've seen Josh from DPI in action at the Decker tech days, Grady does free torsion bar adjustments at DMA tech days and I'm pretty sure I've heard of DMCMW attending tech days too.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Dave's helped me out at tech days in the past.

Though, it doesn't have to be exclusively vendors helping out. There are plenty of knowledgeable owners out there who are willing to lend a hand. I've worked with the cooling system enough to be able to assist anyone there and I know that two people can dismantle an entire K-Jet setup in under an hour. If Bill is willing to teach, I know I'm not the only one interested in his steering column upgrade, but feels that they're lacking in ability.
    -Chad K.

I think it would have to be vendors, because liability would be a huge problem otherwise -- a non-certified mechanic working on someone else's car at a site which is not a repair shop could get VERY hairy if someone decided to sue JimBob Who Helped With The Radiator Which Later Exploded.

(Note: This is inspired by a friend of mine with a lift, who has everyone who uses it sign a waiver whenever we come to use it. Standard CYA manoeuvre.)
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The same would be needed for DCS, but that doesn't make it any less feasible.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    Haha. Gotta love Fred. Has anyone heard from him lately?
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Am I driving the service truck to DCS?

People monkey with their cars in the parking lot at every DCS. It's just never been an official part of the show.

You wouldn't need a gamut of projects -- just a popular select few such as recovering seats (and perhaps headliners), installing lowering springs (and perhaps Ed's brackets), valve adjustment, etc.

Some new owners don't even know how to take their console out yet.

I've got a job crane on the truck that can pull an engine if necessary....

Bill Robertson

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Three words:

Wet T-Shirt Contest

Then again we are talking Delorean fans, might not be a good idea afterall
    deloreangirl.jpg