Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Improve DCS

How To Improve DCS

IMHO DCS needs to be reinvented. By the end it had morphed into a rather pricey multi day family resort vacation with a Saturday car show tacked onto the end. To be brutally honest, calling it a "car show" was something of a misnomer. I never even bothered showing up until Friday. Off site attractions became just as important as the car show itself, if not moreso.

There is hunger in the community for service and repair. I suggested to Ken adding some real hands on practical workshops -- not conference room show & tells, but greasy hands and bloody knuckles under a pair of jack stands. Needless to say my suggestion was very cooly received. In Ken's mind DCS was always a traditional competitive judged car show with banquet and awards at the end.

Wonder what the response would be to a national DeLorean gathering where you could get a Stage Whatever exhaust installed while you were there? Or your seats/headliners recovered? Or hoses under the intake manifold replaced?

Who knows: perhaps you could even do R134 A/C conversions....

Imagine what a DCS DVD would look like chock full of step by step how to's.

Still keep the dinners -- people seem to like those. Don't know if anyone other than Ken will be able to get some of the speakers he lined up. DMA has contact with a QAC guy (he's spoken at several DMA events).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    If nothing else, it's a great idea that I'm 100% for. DCS was getting to be too expensive; easily over $500.00 in event costs EXCLUDING the cost of the hotel itself. It was, essentially, a $1,000.00 weekend.

Maybe you should start a brainstorming thread on how to improve DCS?
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Administrator
    VIN
    What happened to my post from earlier where I was bitching about the shitty accommodations for Chris Nicholson?

Gettysburg DCS had a lot of hands on car work done in the parking lot. I do like to see people learning from someone that has experience with their problem. Maybe a TECH day worked into the program could be done.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Where I remember a lot of work being done in the parking lot was Pigeon Forge.

Just imagine if DCS organizers provided electricity, compressed air, jacks and jack stands, etc.

I bet a lot of owners would love to see exhaust gaskets replaced, or a replacement exhaust system installed.

Bill Robertson

Actually there's probably more demand for recovering seats and headliners. Just imagine a room full of owners recovering their own seats while people who have already done it circulated among them providing technical assistance. I bet you would easily have half a dozen takers, perhaps even more.

Bill Robertson

What would happen if DCS attendees created a job bank of tasks they can help owners perform, then attendees paired themselves up with experienced veterans to do whatever needs to be done. At the end of the day everyone cleans up and has a big banquet supper to celebrate multiple jobs well done.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I'd imagine that this would be GREAT for the vendors, as it'd lead to a sharp rise in sales of whatever repair was being featured at the show.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    I like these ideas. DCS could turn into something like a three day tech weekend.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    That could potentially be the greatest thing to happen to the marque; new owners bringing their cars to diagnose problems and getting them running for the first time in decades while simultaneously showing that the cars aren't impossible to work on.
    -Chad K.