Thread: Fix your hood fender alignment

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries

Fix your hood fender alignment

I posted this on the old forum and was immediately pounced upon by the all knowing owners saying that my idea was wrong. It's not.

If the corner of your bonnet sticks up where the fender and the doors meet, chances are the factory seal is all that's wrong. When I first got 5609, it was one ting that really bugged me the longer I drove it. One day I decided to fix this annoyance. You have a few "fixes" for slight alignment issues.

The first is to lower the stops, (making sure they still hit the catches properly in case of a collision)

The second is the David T method... lower the bonnet latch in the trunk compartment by drilling new holes This also puts more stress on the cable since the hood is under more tension.

The third is to shim the fenders higher so they match up

None of these would work for me as my bonnet was jacked up about 3/4" and you can't pull that much out with shims...you could but then your fender and door would not line up. I could see that if I applied pressure, it would line up. In my case the problem was the trunk seal itself. The factory trunk seal was way too thick. It is one of those horrible DeLorean "make it fit" parts. It's a fat piece of straight run weatherstrip that was never meant to go around curves. It is cut in many places to make sure it bends and then glued into place with adhesive leaking out from both sides. Looks terrible, and my refurb had the same "factory" treatment. I thought about it for a minute and pulled the seal out and presto! Perfect alignment! Now I had to replace the seal but with what?

Go to Lowes and pick up 2 rolls of this:
    20150322_190505.jpg 20150322_190514.jpg

You will need to clean all the gunk from your bonnet. Mine came off pretty easy since it was fairly fresh, but you may need solvent to remove 34 year old glue. If so, then it's a good time to freshen up the area with a little sanding and a few coats of SEM trim black. Let that cure for a day then come back with the weatherstriping, it's self adhesive sticks prett good. Mine has been firmly in place for several years.

Once the tape is applied, I closed the hood and let it take set. It was completely waterproof in the trunk compartment and looks so much nicer.

20150322_190613.jpg20150322_190630.jpg20150322_190714.jpg20150322_190722.jpg

Not only does it fix the problem but it is a huge cosmetic improvement over the factory seal. Note that I left the factory seal in place at the very bottom and pushed my new strip into the hole. I can't remember why I did this but i think I was worried about water running down the hood and leaking into the compartment. I now know that was not a problem but since it's tucked out of sight I left it alone.

20150322_190740.jpg

This may not be a "Talk" approved method, they would rather you drill holes and shim to the moon.

Mine stick up also but I can see the fenders need to be shimmed up to also match the doors. Or if I lower the front of the doors then your fix may work.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    If your doors are working and latching correctly then I wouldn't touch them.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    X2... Align everything to the doors once they function correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Nice writeup! These little procedures are important to keep our cars from falling further and further into disarray as things become worn out and replaced, parts no longer exist, etc.

I just got my car back from DMCMW with a new driver's door. They replaced both of my doors now within the last year and a half.

It's interesting to me how the doors can bend over time. It may depend on if the torsion bar was overtorqued or it may not, but in my case, both doors were bowed near the windshield header panel. The moment that the NOS passenger door was put on, it became very clear just how bad the driver's side was, which led to its replacement as well (in addition to the fact that it had been welded where the inner skin detached from the outer skin).

Now with the new driver's door on, it actually looks like the large part of the door (south of the glass) is straighter than my old door. I see this by noticing how it lines up with the rear quarter panel, when compared with the old door. I actually need to pull my rear quarter panel out from the car a few mm, whereas before I had to push in somewhat forcefully in that area. From the glass upward, the door lines up the same.
    Last edited by Boglin; 12-09-2015 at 09:38 PM.

I mounted lip weatherstripping to the carbody:

HoodWeatherstripping.jpg

It's glued with 3M Superweatherstrip -- screws were originally going to just hold it in place while the adhesive dried, but I've since decided to leave them (they're stainless...). People give me shit about the visible screws -- what about visible screws that hold the front fascia on (*NOT* stainless, thank you very much)? Or the bumpers/collision posts? Or screws that hold the gutter guard? Or screws that hold the access panels down (black nylon in my case)? Or big body bolts?

Bill Robertson

Hi, I would like to buy a car that unfortunately has got this problem of allignment, is possible to fix this only changing the weather strip or I have also to shim the fenders higher?
    there's a user on another forum who posted this video of the same problem
    http://youtu.be/lKUr9QR96Ww
    at the end is visible the difficult of closing..

so is sure that I can fix it following Michael tips? or the method just above here?

thanks bye
    Last edited by nikkke; 01-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Chances are if the seal is very old it may be a slight fender shim will fix the issue. I do not like the factory seal though and I would change it on cosmetics alone. If the hood is under a lot of stress someone may have adjusted the catch lower which puts a lot of stress on the release cable.
    I have never considered this until now but considering the catch is dead center it may make the hood bow making the problem worse!

All in all don't let a hood alignment issue put you off if the car is otherwise fine. It can be easily fixed in a number of ways.

ok, thanks Michael, I worried seeing in that forum a user who has tied a rope around the car to keep down the hood, but yet with no good result.