View Poll Results: Saturn/Autozone Alternator

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

3 100.00%
  • Dislike

0 0%

Thread: Saturn Alternator

Saturn Alternator

A few of us are using "the Saturn alternator." It comes from a 1991 Saturn SL and is available at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. It's output current is 96 amps, which is well-suited for the DeLorean's electrical system.

More details can be found here:
    http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...oltage-problem

Autozone part: DL1315-5-3
    Pigtail connector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VIN
    Blog Entries
    This is the best route, so long as your car has a Motorola alternator or you have access to a domestic one with a V belt pulley. The Ducellier has a different diameter shaft and will not allow for a pulley swap.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    This is the best route, so long as your car has a Motorola alternator or you have access to a domestic one with a V belt pulley. The Ducellier has a different diameter shaft and will not allow for a pulley swap.
    One thing I'm confused about is whether the same belt can be used (assuming the previous alt. was the Motorola)?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The belt is unchanged regardless of alternator; Ducellier, Motorola, Saturn, or DMCH will all use the same one.

The Saturn alternator comes with a 9 groove pulley on it that you have to swap with your existing pulley, but the mounting points are of negligible difference. Any discrepancy in the mounting is compensated for by proper tension on the belt; this is where your tensioner shines. (I'll be ordering one as soon as I decide what to do about LCAs)

I've swapped about 8 alternators on DeLoreans, but I've always been able to reuse the belt; provided it was in good condition.
    -Chad K.

Re: the mounting points

The Saturn differs in that the front/top ear is thinner than on the motorola. Therefore either a spacer or my custom upper bracket should be used. The pivot bolt is also smaller (M8) vs the Motorola (M10), which my upper bracket also accomodates.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    That's what I call negligible difference.
    -Chad K.