Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SpecialTAuto "Integrated" Fuel Pump

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    I've owned this fuel pump for about a year now and I haven't had any issues with it performance-wise. It's nice and quiet. My only problem is with the cork gasket that came with the FSU. The FSU has these holes on top with the same hole alignment on the gasket as well. When fuel sloshes around in my tank, it seeps through the seal. I've even tried off-setting the holes so they don't line up together, to no avail.
    I didn't get his set with the FSU, but my original FSU gasket was in rough shape, and I cut a new one from the cork gasket sheets that you can find at AutoZone. With the stock senders, no leaks. Not sure about your unit, but you could make one hole-free

absotively posilutely
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    I didn't get his set with the FSU, but my original FSU gasket was in rough shape, and I cut a new one from the cork gasket sheets that you can find at AutoZone. With the stock senders, no leaks. Not sure about your unit, but you could make one hole-free
    Hmm, I'll check out AutoZone after work tonight. Thanks!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    I've owned this fuel pump for about a year now and I haven't had any issues with it performance-wise. It's nice and quiet. My only problem is with the cork gasket that came with the FSU. The FSU has these holes on top with the same hole alignment on the gasket as well. When fuel sloshes around in my tank, it seeps through the seal. I've even tried off-setting the holes so they don't line up together, to no avail.
    I would try getting the stand alone fuel sender from DMC. I think it is a much better unit than the one you have. I've modified mine so the needle doesn't change position under acceleration/deceleration. I do like the pump though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I would try getting the stand alone fuel sender from DMC. I think it is a much better unit than the one you have. I've modified mine so the needle doesn't change position under acceleration/deceleration. I do like the pump though.
    I'm with Chris. The DMC sender works great if you plug one of the holes on the bottom. I used a short 1/8" aluminum rivet. Now I don't see the low fuel light when I take off from a stop.

Hey everyone! Im really happy I ran across this forum, lots of good stuff on here.

So I went ahead and bought a new fuel pump from herko, on eBay, but I have no idea where the wires go?

It comes with the additional connector but that doesn't help much. I just don't know which prongs go to what function?

1 is top left, 2 is bottom left, 3 is bottom right & 4 is top right.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

James
    6408 & 2168

Also, the top of my pump doesn't come in contact with the rim of the gas tank. It sticks up about 1/2 inch or so. Is that normal, if so what takes up the space, the rubber grommet?

Thanks again

James

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDMC81 View Post
    Also, the top of my pump doesn't come in contact with the rim of the gas tank. It sticks up about 1/2 inch or so. Is that normal, if so what takes up the space, the rubber grommet?

Thanks again

James
    I'm not saying that you can't make it work .... but the pump should rest on the top of the tank opening when the springs are compressed. It is the compression against the top that holds it in place. Plus that is where you'll get the gas tight fit.

As far as the wiring in the 4x connector:
    - 2 of those are for the sender. It shouldn't make any difference how it gets wired to a fuel gauge (but the resistance and the direction of the resistance makes a difference)
    - The other two go to the pump and that should be directional. Wired backwards and the pump will likely run backwards. In place of the proper connector, you can solder to the pins. Just make sure there is proper spacing and put something in that insulates so there are no electrical issues.

the 3x plug is the pressure sender not used in the D
    No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDMC81 View Post
    Hey everyone! Im really happy I ran across this forum, lots of good stuff on here.

So I went ahead and bought a new fuel pump from herko, on eBay, but I have no idea where the wires go?

It comes with the additional connector but that doesn't help much. I just don't know which prongs go to what function?

1 is top left, 2 is bottom left, 3 is bottom right & 4 is top right.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

James
    6408 & 2168

Someone told you that thing is a Delorean fuel pump and it won't fit? You need to make all sorts of modifications to make that thing work. Based on that alone, I wouldn't trust the pressure coming from that fuel pump either.

First of all you need to cut that metal tab off, then you need to remove the top springs, then you have to figure out which two terminals to connect voltage to for the fuel pump to work. The fuel sender won't work on that pump with a Delorean.

Personally I would return it and buy a DMCH unit.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    From the looks of it, the thing is missing a rubber seal and clamp as well. I wouldn't trust it and would return the thing.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I have been successfully running this pump for over a year. It works fine. I have also helped three owners install these pumps successfully. The correct plug should have been included. This is the plug Carter is supposed to include:

S1365photo primary.jpg

Here is the plug soldered onto the original DMC fuel pump harness (ACDelco PT1537):

IMG_2885.jpg

The pump is spring loaded so it needs to be clamped down. Here is the outer rubber seal i use (peterson 426-182)

pm-426-182.jpg

The fuel pump should also come with an inner seal. I just used a regular hose clamp to secure the fuel pump in place. But you can get more elaborate clamps if you want. Like I said, three of my friends are using this setup with no issues. It is more cost effective than going through DMC. I think the integrated pump kit DMC offers is great, I just didn't want to spend $450 on it.