Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SpecialTAuto "Integrated" Fuel Pump

VIN

SpecialTAuto "Integrated" Fuel Pump

When I got my car it had what looked like original fuel hoses that have never been replaced. All of the outer rubber sheathing was either flaking off or already gone. When I got around to inspecting the whole fuel tank area, I saw the fuel pump terminals were rusty and on their way out. At the time, the new integrated fuel pumps were not on the market. So I started sourcing original style parts to refresh my fuel tank. Ordered parts from DMCNW, Martin and Hervey. Martin had some nice fuel tank hoses that I was impressed with. Needless to say, it all went back together fine. My bolted the inspection plate back up and I didn't look at it for several (3 or so) years.

Cut to this year. I noticed Hervey had a new fuel pump listed on his web site. It looked very similar to the DMCH integrated unit. Hervey's didn't have the integrated fuel sender however. I was fine with this because my DMCH reproduction has been working fine. The biggest thing that attracted me to Hervey's pupm was the affordable price ($129 vs $419). Since I didn't see much discussion about it, I thought I'll just buy it and do some field testing with it. At $129, to me, that's worth the risk of it failing. I've seen how the DMCH integrated fuel sender works and I don't like it. Every time you start the car the needle goes to zero and then relevels itself.

Anyway, I decided to order Hervey's new style pump. The same day I bought the pump, it was shipped! I couldn't belive it! He has some gal named Ashley working for him now, so she must be doing the shipping. That was the quickest turn around I have ever experienced. I was very impressed. About 4 or five days later the pump arrived. Here is a picture of it out of the box

image.jpg

I liked the fact that Hervey includes proper fuel line clamps. Also the fuel injection hose was Gates brand, made in the old US of A. At this time I began my work in the fuel tank area. I took the inspection panel off and I found this.

image.jpg

The fuel hoses I had gotten from Martin didn't appear to fair very well. As you can see, there is a bunch of cracking. The main feed line was in poorer condition. The gash in the line was my fault. I didn't take into account that with the access panel in place, it pushed the fuel hose back up against one of the coolant hose clamps for the heater core. Luckily I didn't have any leaks. Hervey's pump would not have been compatible with Martin's fuel lines anyway, but I had hope they would have been in better condition to keep as spares or sell. I was bummed, but what can you do. I continued my work and pulled the fuel pump boot out of the tank. Again I was surprised at what I found.

image.jpg

The boot had split. Not quite sure how this happened. I may have had the pump too low. The split was right near where the "bead" around the fuel pump is. I really hate all this rubber in the fuel tank. Luckily the boot hadn't tunred to "goo" yet, but the boot is sort of worthless now because of the split. Once I removed the baffle components from the tank I was clear to install the new pump. Here's how it looks.

image.jpg

I also found a new use for the old top boot.

image.jpg

The only think you are left on your own to figure out, is how to "plug" the pump into the DeLorean wiring. I didn't was to cut out the plug on the wiring harness in case I ever to decide to get the DMCH pump. I ended up splicing the connector Hervey provides to the original fuel pump "pig tail" harness. It seems to work just fine.

image.jpg

So far the new pump has been operating as a DeLorean fuel pump should be. It's very quiet. I can hardly hear it prime. Time will tell what it's longevity will be. I will report back. Since buying the pump, the price has increased to $149, which is still a good deal. It's cheaper than having to buy all the boots and other ancillary parts to go along with an original style pump. I would consider this option when you are shopping around for a new fuel pump.

VIN
    I think it's the same pump as DMCH (Which consequently I bought because I need the fuel gauge and light) From what I understand, the heavier price tag really reflects more the technology that goes into the sending unit to make the light function and give more stability to the gauge. (i.e. no fluctuations when you go around a sharp corner or no bouncy needle as you go lower)

For all intents and purposes, the pump itself looks near identical.
    Last edited by Justin51982; 03-03-2015 at 07:30 PM.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post

For all intents and purposed, the pump itself looks near identical.
    Not quite. To quote Dave Swingle:
    I've not see brand X in person (If you want to buy one and send it to me I'd be glad to provide more info), but here's what I can see from photos:

Brand X - The top is not stainless, rather claimed to be "rust resistant". Assume plated steel. The fuel lines are clamped directly to the (stainless?) steel lines rather than using the quick-connect barb fittings that the lines are designed to utilize. The inlet filter is outside the baffle rather than inside the baffle. Not sure which is better, but based on experience if you ever have a dirt problem it's easier to clean the filter and baffle than the whole bottom of the tank, which is where the dirt ends up. The sender is still a separate part with no outer tube. The sender float is undamped so the gauge will probably wander around rather dramatically. That style sender should have a tube around the float. There is no low fuel light switch. There is likely to be a clearance problem at the fiberglass tank access panel as the Emission/Evap sensor appears to remain in place on top of the unit (could have been changed but that's what I see). I know the DMCH unit is tight there and it does not have the sensor. Not sure without trying it.

DMCH - Plastic is certainly rustproof and is what is used in all modern fuel systems. I've pulled enough rusty fuel pump modules from non-DMC GM cars to consider the plastic unit to be a benefit. As we know that part of the pump is directly hit with water every time it rains or you wash the car. The sender is part of the pump assembly, and the external electronics box damps the sender motion and "creates" the low fuel light signal. The gauge will not show tank slosh due to the damping.

I can't compare the actual pump motor because I can't see it. I can't compare the baffle check valve. The clamping mechanism certainly appears to be a knock-off of the same design as DMCH.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    A video of my modifications can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

VIN
    Mine just arrived for 6631. Looks relatively straightforward, installing it this afternoon.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post

For all intents and purposes, the pump itself looks near identical.

There's gotta be a number on it somewhere, no?
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

Just bought one to try as well, sick of trying to get the top of the tank to seal properly.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    UK & Worldwide DeLorean forum: www.deloreans.co.uk/forum

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
    Just bought one to try as well, sick of trying to get the top of the tank to seal properly.
    Chris
    I had issues with that as well on the "Euro style" pump. This one seems easier, I may need to adjust my seal just a little bit, but it's straightforward. Install time was about 20 minutes, but I already had the tank cleaned out and the old baffle removed. So far so good!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    I had issues with that as well on the "Euro style" pump. This one seems easier, I may need to adjust my seal just a little bit, but it's straightforward. Install time was about 20 minutes, but I already had the tank cleaned out and the old baffle removed. So far so good!
    Did you have any issues with the metal lines from the fuel pump brushing up against the floor of the spare tire well?

So does the pump have a fuel sender on it even though it's not used.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So does the pump have a fuel sender on it even though it's not used.
    There is no fuel sender attached. That's why I liked this pump. I have a fully functional DMCH metal fuel sender. I like the way it works and didn't see the benefit of getting the $400 combo unit. At $149 it's a steal. Plus you don't have to worry about the rubber boots or the pick up hose and stock baffle.