Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the stock market

Let's all start a hedgefund together and make Sam run it. Then we can all get rich together.

You shouldn't trust me. I don't have an illustrious path in econ and finance like Paul Krugman. He used to advise Enron, you know.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

The subject of retirement saving reared its head again at the DMCMW Open House.

Watch those management fees. Just 2% can reduce return on a $10,000 investment 33% over 20 years. Increase those fees to 5% and the return is reduced a whopping 64%.

Play with this online calculator to see what I'm talking about: http://www.buyupside.com/calculators/feesdec07.htm

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I'm certainly not rich, but I'm at 6% so far for the year. I'm happy.

stock.JPG
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

The DOW has been hanging around 18,000 for a long time. Who knows what will happen but the markets have been around that all time record high for to long for me. If your still young, probably best to leave it in the markets because over the long run it earns more than any other investments. When you get older and may need to start pulling cash, you can't wait for the markets to come back if they drop for a few years.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

There's a reason government securities are the darling of older Americans. Dave is old enough to remember the old Series EE savings bonds (the ones you purchased at half face value) that were guaranteed to earn a minimum 6% for the first 12 years (could earn more, but not less) -- those were the perfect savings vehicle for people who need liquidity and a decent short term return. Unfortunately the government stopped selling bonds that way in the early 1990's and went to a market rate bond sold at face value.

Bill Robertson

Those were the days. Even a simple bank savings account was guaranteed to earn 5% or more. But with that was mortgage interest rates about 10% and inflation 4%.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Actually those were the 70's.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I forgot to mention, but in addition to my 401k, I have recently started investing in my state's public education system. I invest $5 every few days.

My investment helps pay for the education of public school students. In addition to this, my investment occasionaly pays dividends

Jackpot dividend ($50k minimum) - Odds 1 in 87,180

$100 dividend - Odds 1 in 544

$7 dividend - Odds 1 in 18

$1 dividend - Odds 1 in 2
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

The latest possibility to look forward to is that Greece will bounce from the Euro and default. Not that I blame them, but if the assassination of an Archduke can cause chaos, a small currency crisis may have us googleing favorite human ass meat recipes
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru