Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to cross reference brake booster

VIN
    So my brake booster failed on the way home from Michigan last week. No biggie, it just means I had to drive over 1,000 miles without power brakes.

Incidentally, this was my recently rebuilt John Hervey booster. My original Hervey booster failed several years ago, I sent it to him for warranty repair, he charged me a bunch of money to rebuilt it again, and I ended up putting it on the shelf while I drove around with a used booster pulled from another Delorean.

When I rebuilt my brake system (with John hervey calipers of course), I put the rebuilt booster back on the car that had been sitting on the shelf. All seemed great until I lost power brakes last week and could hear a hissing noise from the booster.

I'm not going to send it to Hervey for repair since I ended up having to pay a bunch of money to get it fixed when it should have been warrantied last time. I am either going to cough up the money and have Autozone/Cardone rebuild it with a lifetime warranty, or I am going to put a hot rod booster on it.

These are the measurements of the brake booster.

Brake Booster Diameter: 8 inches

Booster to firewall mounting is a 3.5 in. x 3.5 in. bolt pattern.

Master cylinder studs center to center measure 3.125 in (3 1/8)

Brake booster depth: 4 inches
    Brake booster depth with studs: 6 inches
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I've been searching all morning and this is the closest match I can find.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760167/overview/

The firewall mounting studs are a perfect match at 3.5 inches but the posts that go to the master cylinder are slightly different.

I measured 3.125 (3 1/8) inches from post center to post center on my Delorean brake booster.

The Summit part is 3.375 (3 3/8) where from post center to post center where it mounts to the master cylinder.

Other than that, it looks like a perfect fit. I suppose I could slightly drill out the master cylinder holes.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    It's known more as a "servo" over here - it's a British part, used on Ford cars mainly - as with the DeLorean though, the problem is, all of the old stock is - well - old, and there aren't many of the cars around anymore to create a demand - the few servos I see on Ebay are either bad, or expensive. But we stock a rebuild kit - https://www.deloreango.com/us/brake-servo-seal-kit.html - we have one factory original service kit in stock too, but that is pretty much the same as this one, only older.
    A bit harder to get is the check valve - which can also go wrong, or snap off - you sometimes see these on Ebay - we have 2 - https://www.deloreango.com/us/brake-...eck-valve.html

VIN
    I've got some instructions too, but they are quite faded - this guide is much more helpful - https://majcd213.blogspot.co.uk/2016...epair-kit.html

I know there is an internal diaphragm as well, but that isn't considered a service item, and doesn't usually go bad - I have heard of good success with these kits.

Administrator
    VIN
    Arran is the bomb-diggity...thanks for posting that info, very informative.

I vote for Steve to rebuild his servo and thoroughly document it with pics for the rest of us.

(BTW, Arran....what's the origin of the awesome pic that's in your signature and on the Delorean Club UK card that came with my order?)

VIN
    I took it at our meet-up in 2010 - I haven't really taken any decent pictures since! - I still have that clothing somewhere I think - unwashed - yes, we made them take it off

Administrator
    VIN
    Nice...!!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Arran is the bomb-diggity...thanks for posting that info, very informative.

I vote for Steve to rebuild his servo and thoroughly document it with pics for the rest of us.
    I'll admit, rebuilding it with his kit does look pretty easy, but I'm still concerned about that big diaphram inside of the unit. When Hervey had my second unit repaired he sent it back with the old large inside diaphragm for my inspection. He claimed it was damaged due to a brake fluid leak (which my car has never leaked brake fluid).

Several ebay sellers have contacted me with measurements. I'm starting to think the measurements I have taken might be slightly off. I am going to check my measurements again and see if I can work directly with one of the sellers that emailed me back. If we can get a dual diaphram booster for about $100, I think that would be a better solution than rebuilding. I'm not a genius, but I think a dual diaphram booster would have more stopping power.

Plus, I trust a one year warranty from a stranger on eBay over Hervey's 10 year warranty any day (mine had a five year warranty when I bought it).

VIN
    Measurements

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

A-1 Cardone will rebuild it with a lifetime warranty, but you will get it back blasted completely clean and ready to rust.

I've also had one rebuilt by http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/. They will only include a 1-year-warranty, but you can get powder coating as a finish option.

Have you tried disassembling it? I've heard that you need very specialized equipment.