Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to cross reference brake booster

VIN
    If anybody is interested, here is the break master cylinder page from RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1836

According to the guys on the EuroTec Forum the Delphi part should have the original hydraulic proportion.

Steve has the right idea matching the master cylinder mounts. A neck extension can be fabricated to match any firewall mounts.

And of course the vacuum chamber has to be small enough to fit.

Bill Robertson

Just took a look at a 1979 SAAB 900 booster unit. Vacuum chamber looks shallower and bigger diameter than I remember a DeLorean unit, but I could be wrong. Just pull the multiport check valve out and replace it with a single barb check valve:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=426092_0_0_

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Just took a look at a 1979 SAAB 900 booster unit.
    Did you find one locally? I made several calls yesterday and never could find one.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    The new Saab booster arrived today. Although the bolts are identical the booster itself is larger. This probably won't work unless the fiberglass is cut. It is very tempting though.

I might try to mount it this weekend just to see how bad the clearance is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374810166.532718.jpg
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Does the valve assembly itself look interchangeable? If so, you should be able to transfer it into a DeLorean chamber. You might even be able to reuse the DeLorean pedal push rod rather than extending the SAAB rod.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 07-25-2013 at 11:04 PM.

VIN
    Do you mean the inside? I'll bring them with me tomorrow and you can take a look. The new booster arrived without a vacuum barb. One will need to be purchased for it if this thing is put into service but it looks like it will take the same size fitting.

VIN
    So the Saab booster will not work. Although the bolts line up perfectly, the canister is physically to large. Cutting fiberglass would not work because it would still hit the steering column.

I will be returning the booster for a refund.

Today another thought crossed my mind. Why not find a smaller booster that bolts up with the flange/adapter that mounts to the firewall? Fitting to the master cylinder wouldn't really matter because it could be replaced with whatever mounts to the smaller booster.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Today another thought crossed my mind. Why not find a smaller booster that bolts up with the flange/adapter that mounts to the firewall? Fitting to the master cylinder wouldn't really matter because it could be replaced with whatever mounts to the smaller booster.
    Have you looked online for pictures of MG or TVR brake boosters? Perhaps it was borrowed from another British car. Maybe even a Porsche.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    A video of my modifications can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Have you looked online for pictures of MG or TVR brake boosters? Perhaps it was borrowed from another British car. Maybe even a Porsche.
    I am thinking a universal booster from eBay might do the trick. I measured a stock booster and it is 8 inches wide.

Here is an 8 inch wide booster from eBay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-DUAL-UNIVE...41b9a1&vxp=mtr

The mounting holes seem to be the same distance as ours. I'm not sure about the master cylinder though. From what I have seen, the bolt pattern for the master cylinder seems to be the same on many boosters. Perhaps master cylinders mounts are the same across many different platforms.

One thing I like about the universal booster I found is the rod going into the booster seems to accept a screw on type of rod. This would make it super easy to purchase an adjustable rod to connect to the thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Brake...6e72e7&vxp=mtr

I currently have a 30 year old booster on my car and a rebuild one from Hervey sitting on the shelf. I'm set for a while but I am very curious about experimenting with this setup. I'm just not so sure I want to do it today though.