Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to cross reference brake booster

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    A-1 Cardone will rebuild it with a lifetime warranty, but you will get it back blasted completely clean and ready to rust.

I've also had one rebuilt by http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/. They will only include a 1-year-warranty, but you can get powder coating as a finish option.

Have you tried disassembling it? I've heard that you need very specialized equipment.
    I haven't disassembled it, but I have an old diaphragm in my hand from the last rebuild Hervey did for me.

The diapram in it is Girling part # 64490481 which seems to cross reference to a 1971 Fiat. I have no clue if the bolt patterns will line up though.

Are you currently using the A-1 Cardone unit? I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I wouldn't mind a lifetime warranty part, but at the same time, I may very well be able to get a universal part to fit.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I haven't disassembled it, but I have an old diaphragm in my hand from the last rebuild Hervey did for me.

The diapram in it is Girling part # 64490481 which seems to cross reference to a 1971 Fiat. I have no clue if the bolt patterns will line up though.

Are you currently using the A-1 Cardone unit? I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I wouldn't mind a lifetime warranty part, but at the same time, I may very well be able to get a universal part to fit.
    I am currently using the A-1 Cardone unit. Works fine after 1.5 years so far.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    I am currently using the A-1 Cardone unit. Works fine after 1.5 years so far.
    Can I just walk into Autozone and have them call A-1 Cardone or do I need to do something before I walk in the store?
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Today's visit to Autozone was interesting. I got the standard flux capacitor comment while they tried looking up Delorean in their computer. I mentioned that it isn't in their computer and they asked for a part number.

I didn't have a part number, so I just mentioned that a friend of mine in DC had one rebuilt by A1-Cardone and it was handled by Autozone. They called up A1-Cardone's tech support line and a rude guy told the Autozone employee that A1-Cardone doesn't rebuild boosters for them anymore.

The Autozone guy then called up customer support and spoke with a nice lady who was convinced tech support was wrong and that they would be able to handle it.

Autozone took down my contact information, said they would get a district manager on it and that they should have me an answer in a few days.

Hopefully the rude tech support guy was wrong and they are still rebuilding these things for Autozone. Time will tell.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    If you need it done and done right, I have a local shop that redid the booster on my '66 Imperial and they did an excellent job. I'd be happy to take yours to them.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    If you need it done and done right, I have a local shop that redid the booster on my '66 Imperial and they did an excellent job. I'd be happy to take yours to them.
    Thanks for the offer. Right now I'm going to hang tite and wait to see what Autozone can do.

I'm convinced I can do it cheaper than Autozone with something like a traditional rebuild shop or even a universal, but with Autozone I'll get a lifetime warranty and would never have to pay for a rebuild again. I'd go universal in a heartbeat if I could find one with a lifetime warranty.

VIN
    I got a call back from Autozone today and was told A1-Cardone no longer rebuilds brake boosters for them. I was told they could have it rebuilt by another company, Power Brake Exchange. The cost would be $280 and it would have a two year warranty. I thanked him for the effort, but I won't be going that route.

Next I walked into Oreilly Auto Parts with my booster. The friendly lady said A1-Cardone could rebuilt it and it wouldn't be a problem. I proceeded to ask about cost and warranty. She didn't have any answers and said they wouldn't know anything until after A1-Cardone rebuilt it and sent them an invoice. I asked her several times if she could call A1-Cardone and although she was very friendly, the answer was no every time.

Brake boosters aren't rocket science people. I'm going to buy a Ford brake booster from Autozone for around $100 with a lifetime warranty and am going to modify or build a new bracket to put it in my car. This rebuilding stuff is ridiculous.

VIN
    I couldn't find anything on Autozone's website that looked like a fit. I went ahead an ordered a universal one from Jegs and will see if it fits. As long as it lines up to the master cylinder I should be fine.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Right-Stuff/965/RPB8531/10002/-1

If it doesn't fit, I can always return is minus my cost to ship it back.

VIN
    The Jegs brake booster arrived today. The Jegs booster doesn't fit. The bolts that line up with the master cylinder are too far apart. I'm returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The Jegs brake booster arrived today. The Jegs booster doesn't fit. The bolts that line up with the master cylinder are too far apart. I'm returning it.
    Make an adapter plate, puss!