Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to cross reference brake booster

VIN

Attempting to cross reference brake booster

So I still haven't heard back from Hervey about my brake booster and this car needs to be back on the road next week.

I am going to attempt installing a 1979 Saab 99 brake booster in place of my original. I've ordered the part from www.partstrain.com for $138 including taxes and shipping. The advantage to ordering from them vs eBay is I can return the thing should it not fit.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Just out of curiosity -- what made you go with the Saab unit?

VIN
    According to what I read on the DML, the brake master cylinder is an unmodified SAAB unit.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/65133

The way I see it, if Deloreans use SAAB brake master cylinders, then a SAAB booster should bolt up to our master cylinders just fine. Its the other end that I am worried about. The good news is that PartsTrain accepts returns. If it looks difficult to "make it fit" then I can just give up, return it, and only be out shipping.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Wow, I forgot all about the DML. I tried searching DMCTalk for a brake servo xRef and came up with nothing. Nice find! Seems logical that a Saab MC should fit a Saab booster. If it works, you just saved the DeLorean world some trouble.

If the master cylinder bolts up we can make it work. I might have to fabricate a new neck.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Then it's a temporary fix, though, what with SAAB being gone. If it works, hoarding SAAB brake boosters may become a lucrative business.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Not necessarily. I can still get rebuilt AMC parts over the counter, and AMC's been gone since 1987 (purchased by Chrysler as an ongoing entity, thank you very much). That's good news for Bricklin owners because there's a lot of AMC in a Bricklin, even after the drivetrain change (in fact, unless I'm mistaken, 1975 Bricklins still have AMC differentials and rear axles).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Not necessarily
    What Bill said. Do a Google search for Delorean brake booster and you will only see two options for purchase. The first hit is a 30 year old booster from DMCH for $270. The other option is to send Hervey your brake booster and let him get it rebuilt for $250 (plus shipping both ways).

Do a search for 1979 Saab 99 brake booster and you get a lot more results. There are several new units eBay, Rock Auto, and Amazon. The only bad part about these is you don't get a lifetime warranty. If you can somehow get a place such as AutoZone, Advance, or Oreilly's to order you one, you will get a lifetime warranty.

I just got a short email from Hervey stating my brake booster won't be ready until Monday. He didn't say if it was being repaired under warranty or not, but I assume it is since he didn't mention any money. Regardless, I still want to develop a cross reference for this. My car has been without power brakes for almost a month now. If I were running a Saab unit, this would have been resolved just days after it went out.

The Saab unit has three connections for vacuum to connect to. My guess is these three are all connected to the same valve. My plan is to attached a small piece of hose to two of the unused vacuum connections and to simply connect one vacuum line from the Delorean to what is left.

As long as the holes line up to the mount, then the biggest obstacle will be extending the linkage to go inside of the car.

VIN
    This is exciting. Keep us posted!

If Bill can find an AMC brake booster that works with the DeLorean, I'll be over the moon. I can get AMC parts from any local parts house around where I live.