Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Scaled down Dealership sign for 200 bucks.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries

Make a Scaled down Dealership sign for 200 bucks.

I have always liked the idea of converting the dealer signs for home use, however the signs were just way too big. They are also very heavy and very expensive, not to mention hard to move or work with. DMCMW answered this gap with their own version, and wow did it look nice. I'm certainly not knocking DCMW's sign, I'm sure it's a great product and is answering the call for a home version sign for a lot of people with large houses. My only complaint was they didn't take if far enough. At 6' it was still too big and I felt it would overpower all but the largest of spaces. I think if the intended purpose was a home version, it would need to be scaled down even further. Second, I think I can do it for much less $$. I am pretty sure I can get by for around 200 bucks. I also wanted this sign to be small enough to put in my car and display at cruise ins. My sign will operate on 12v DC or 110 AC. I can use either a small jump pack for power and hide behind the sign, or even use the cig. lighter in the car...most likely it will be self contained using the jump pack.

First you need a custom frame. I went to wholesaleposterframes.com and had a nice black anodized frame made up. I just scaled down the original sign and ended up with a 46x12" frame.

I also had to draw up a design, and since I like to add my own flair to things, I changed the proportions a little making both the top and bottom halves equal, rather than the original 70/30 split. Here is a pic of the design:

sign.jpg

The graphics shop had to rework it since I didn't vector it, in the future I will do so and save myself 25 bucks in fees. I had them do a vinyl decal in reverse(the adhesive is on the front).

decal.jpg

That decal was placed on a piece of clear 46x12" lexan sanded with 400 paper first to aid in light dispersal and to give the paint something to stick to. The scratch/frost marks disappear when the paint is applied. I painted a few layers of my colors. The bottom black, the top quartz silver, and the DMC letters are charcoal. (whatever colors you want really) I know the DMC letters are metal and I could have done that with decals, but I didn't like the look. OK, once the color has dried well, you need to light block. A few coats of silver will do nicely. Silver blocks light the best due to all the metal in it. Now that everything is dry, carefully peel up the decal and you are left with a perfect pattern:

20150107_190912.jpg20150107_190927.jpg20150107_190941.jpg

You will need lights! You have to have lights! I use the RGB 5050 LED strips found about anywhere, ebay, Amazon, etc. Some kits include a small generic remote control and a module. You will also need a 12v power supply. I picked up a 5 meter run of lights with controller, module and 12v power supply for 35 bucks.

rgb1.jpg

All that's left is a lot of measuring and wiring up:

20150107_203353.jpg20150107_203402.jpg

Since my frame was thin, I elected to make a light diffuser using a panel found at Lowes, it was cut to size, and two more made for the top which were taped into place. Universal foam seal (also from Lowes) was used to separate the two panels. Notice the module had the case emoved to make it thin enough for the frame, also notice the cutout.

20150107_214401.jpg20150107_214434.jpg20150107_220454.jpg

Now that everything is ready, time to assemble. I cut out the backer board(a piece of cardboard form a car dealership) so the remote sensor and power jack is accessible. The sign and frame are joined and the frame completed. A tiny drop of super glue holds the remote sensor in place.

20150107_220607.jpg20150107_221650.jpg20150107_221706.jpg

Frame: 41.00
    LED lights with remote controller and Power Supply: 35.00
    Diffuser panel (ceiling light panel): 9.00
    Foam Tape: 10 bucks
    Graphics for paint masks: 51.00
    Clear lexan for front: 21.00
    Spray Paint: 20.00

Total: $187.00

The finished sign. ( It wasn't planned, but the GM logo was a nice touch and a nod to JZD)

20150107_225131.jpg20150107_225145.jpg20150107_222739.jpg20150107_222746.jpg20150107_222827.jpg20150107_223419.jpg

And a little video showing assembly and the functions of the remote:

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

VIN
    Very nice sir!
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Now that is something I'd like to own. I completely agree on the impracticality of owning a dealership sign and I like that yours is a reasonable size.

When life stops throwing me curve balls, I'm going to give it a try.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Excellent work!
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

What is the font for "DELOREAN MOTOR CARS"?

Bill Robertson

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    The name of the font for "DELOREAN MOTOR CARS" is IrisUPC. It's not 100% like the original, but it was pretty darn close.

One thing I did do, just to keep the confusion down at the print shop. The space between the "DE" and "LOREAN" is not quite a keyed space, but more of a "half space", so I left it with no space and when I got the decal, I set the space myself.

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

Got it -- thanks. DMC logo fonts are dime a dozen, but I never have found the other one (it's on the airbox label too).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    VERY NICE!!! Who wants to make this as a vector image for those of us who suck at that sort of thing?
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    A video of my modifications can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUpusPAvJc

VIN
    That is a great job you did there Michael.

After reading your post I started to make my own sign as well with yours as a model.
    I am going to make mine I little bigger, in metric 130 cm x 35 cm. I will also keep the top part with the DMC logo a little bigger (20 cm).
    The LED strip I already ordered on eBay. Very cheap!!!

Just like you did, I think I will keep the DMC letters black or charcoal. I can also do it with RVS decals but I think it will too much silver in the top part and I really like it the way you did.

So, many thanks Michael in pointing me in the right direction and I will show off the end result when ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images