Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll

10 100.00%
  • Dislike

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simplified Relay Compartment

VIN
    I am also going to be simplifying the relay compartment, I just have a few questions.
    Is the rear defroster useful at all? I want to remove the entire circuit, but I think I may regret doing so.
    Why did you remove your starter relay Bill? Full current will be traveling through the ignition switch now.

My potential setup will be:
    - Main
    - Aux
    - Starter
    - Low Beams
    - Hi Beams
    - Blower Motor Speed 3
    - Blower Motor Speed 4

-Fuel Pump
    -Main (Megasquirt)
    -EDIS/coil
    -Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ... Why did you remove your starter relay Bill? Full current will be traveling through the ignition switch now....
    Starter motor current passes through the big red wire in the engine compartment. Ignition switch just triggers the solenoid. My car is no different from a normal car now.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Yes i understand the concept of a starter solenoid, lol. I read the solenoid requires a decent amount of current to switch, so that is why there is a relay installed.

The solenoid is just an electromagnet. Probably draws and amp or so at most.

For decades Ford ran a trigger wire from the ignition switch to a remote solenoid mounted to the passenger fender/wheel well, which switched a large gauge wire from the battery to the starter motor (this diagram shows a GM starter -- old Ford starters do not have solenoids hanging off the side of them):

FordStarterCircuit.jpg

My Delorean is wired the same way, albeit with a starter mounted solenoid.

Bill Robertson

Here's a Mustang diagnostic drawing that also shows vintage ford starter wiring:

FordStarterCircuit2.jpg

Bill Robertson

Vintage GM starter configuration:

VintageGMStarter.jpg

This actually is closest to how my DeLorean is set up (virtually identical).

Bill Robertson

Bill, without the relay your current is 35 amps until the starter engages and then it's 10 amps. Attached is a good explanation why this is so.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I've got my multi meter with me -- as cold as it is, I will measure my truck's solenoid draw later today.

If this setup was good enough for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and AMC, for at least three decades, it's good enough for me.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    I've got my multi meter with me -- as cold as it is, I will measure my truck's solenoid draw later today.

If this setup was good enough for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and AMC, for at least three decades, it's good enough for me.

Bill Robertson
    Not saying the switch contacts won't last with that 35 amps spike and 10 amp draw. It also depends how quick your starter gets the engine running. You can read the "10" amp draw with a meter (ignition disabled) but you could only read the 35 amp current with an oscilloscope and a shunt resistor.

Your meter reading will read a little low since the meter shunt resistor is 0.10 ohms and that will drop 1 volt at 10 amps. Also your test leads drop some more voltage.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post

Bill Robertson
    Ford used a relay mounted in engine compartment and called it a solenoid. Ford uses a bendix drive to engage the motor to the flywheel. If that is what your are testing, it has no relationship to what the D uses.
    Dave M vin 03572