Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Out The Intake Valley

Cleaning Out The Intake Valley

Among those of us who have ruined resale value of our cars, am I the only one who cleans out his intake valley by shoving a hose down there and totally flooding the thing?

A self proclaimed DeLorean Guru once gave me Holy Hell for doing that, so if you avoid the practice, I understand.

Bill Robertson

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I do this once a year. Are we not supposed to?
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    I've only removed my intake once so far but I guess the reason against flooding it would be splashing your ignition components or getting water down a spark plug well if you have a cracked boot. Hey it's your car do as you like

VIN
    It was actually the PO that turned me on to doing this, although, I do cover the ignition components and electrical connections as best I can with plastic before I do this.

--Josh S.

I use brake or carburetor cleaner on my intake valley. But that's because I have the intake manifold off when I do it.

VIN
    I just flush mine out with a garden hose and go driving for an hour or so to dry the thing out. I'm too lazy to dry it out manualy.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Plain old garden hose water boils off in well less than an hour.

Am I the only person who controls flow from his garden hose by crimping it in my hand? Crimp the hose so nothing comes out, stick it underneath the intake manifold, then let the hose go.

One advantage of my home made manifolds is multiple intake valley access points -- not only front & rear, but also between each intake runner.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I use a leaf blower to dry the motor/car, then take it on a drive for an ice-cream run.

--Josh S.

VIN
    future
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    ...Am I the only person who controls flow from his garden hose by crimping it in my hand?...
    you wouldnt believe the mad hosing skills i have from my years as a zookeeper...
    Obtain-O-Meter: 64%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I just flush mine out with a garden hose and go driving for an hour or so to dry the thing out. I'm too lazy to dry it out manualy.
    Hey at least you are cleaning the valley. I ran across one here in NY that had a nice rats nest in the valley. The car was driven too and and still didn't scare the rodents off