Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need appraisal help!

VIN

Need appraisal help!

Hello Guys / Gals,
    I came across this forum tonight looking for info on a 1981 Delorean. My uncle recently passed (Thanksgiving) and I'm assisting my Aunt in clearing her driveway. We have from what I can tell a 1981 Delorean. I got that from the VIN#. The car does start but the brakes are ceased from sitting so long. Everything appears to be in good condition except for the headliner, which we have a brand new in the box that he never got around to installing. Rumor has that there may be a vacuum issue with the engine...don't know for sure. Again...we know nothing about this car. He's had it for at least 15 years and its basically sat under a carport with a car cover. He just simply never got around to getting to it. I need to sell this, but have NO idea where to start or what to ask for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie Mullican - 615-594-0228

ATT_1418005035259_20140921_143002.jpgATT_1418005035300_20140921_143446.jpgATT_1418005035323_20140921_143037.jpgATT_1418005035351_2014-09-21 22.00.35.jpgATT_1418005035375_2014-09-25 09.27.46.jpgVin.jpg
    Last edited by graphicdude; 12-07-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: pics

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Hello Jamie.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. I lost my mother last December.

To give you an estimate, there is not quite enough information. The tires look like Michelin pilots, which leads me to believe it has been on the road and driven in the last 8 years or so. The fact that it starts also tells me it hasn't sit for very long without at least being started from time time...which is good.

Pics of the engine compartment, and of the undercarriage are needed as well as any and all history you may have, (when was it last registered?)

To really get close a personal inspection would be needed, but we can certainly get you in the ballpark. A youtube video of it starting and running wouldn't hurt either.

You said it starts, so I'm assuming it starts and drives OK. You said it had a vacuum leak so I'm guessing it doesn't run perfect (idle surging?) If it runs rough, or if you know for a fact that it has sit, then don't try to start it anymore, you could easily do some costly damage to your fuel system with old gas. You also said the brakes are seized and that could be as easy as new pads, or a complete brake rebuild. That's where your personal inspection comes in. From the pictures you did post, it looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition. If you were to advertise it as is, and again assuming the frame and engine compartment looks as good as the topside, I would ballpark it at around 18k ...ish.

A number of things could destroy that figure though. If that car (again assuming the undercarriage looks good) was a nice running, driving car, I don't think you would have a problem getting mid 20's, or higher depending. Right now the market is a bit soft for these cars, but the UK market loves them due to the exchange rate. A lot of DeLoreans for sale here are being bought and shipped to Europe.

If you get time, take lots of pics, frame, front and rear suspension, engine compartment, lift the bonnet and remove the carpet and take pics of the underbody and spare tire area. Get good shots of the fuse and relay area, dash, carpets, and more shots of the body all around including the fascias.

VIN
    Thanks Michael,
    I'll get those pics and repost. $18 is in the range I was thinking. Where is the best place to post if for sale? Here??

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hello Jamie.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. I lost my mother last December.

To give you an estimate, there is not quite enough information. The tires look like Michelin pilots, which leads me to believe it has been on the road and driven in the last 8 years or so. The fact that it starts also tells me it hasn't sit for very long without at least being started from time time...which is good.

Pics of the engine compartment, and of the undercarriage are needed as well as any and all history you may have, (when was it last registered?)

To really get close a personal inspection would be needed, but we can certainly get you in the ballpark. A youtube video of it starting and running wouldn't hurt either.

You said it starts, so I'm assuming it starts and drives OK. You said it had a vacuum leak so I'm guessing it doesn't run perfect (idle surging?) If it runs rough, or if you know for a fact that it has sit, then don't try to start it anymore, you could easily do some costly damage to your fuel system with old gas. You also said the brakes are seized and that could be as easy as new pads, or a complete brake rebuild. That's where your personal inspection comes in. From the pictures you did post, it looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition. If you were to advertise it as is, and again assuming the frame and engine compartment looks as good as the topside, I would ballpark it at around 18k ...ish.

A number of things could destroy that figure though. If that car (again assuming the undercarriage looks good) was a nice running, driving car, I don't think you would have a problem getting mid 20's, or higher depending. Right now the market is a bit soft for these cars, but the UK market loves them due to the exchange rate. A lot of DeLoreans for sale here are being bought and shipped to Europe.

If you get time, take lots of pics, frame, front and rear suspension, engine compartment, lift the bonnet and remove the carpet and take pics of the underbody and spare tire area. Get good shots of the fuse and relay area, dash, carpets, and more shots of the body all around including the fascias.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Post it anywhere and everywhere. Ebay is great exposure, Hemmings, Craigslist.

To be honest, the most exposure to the market would be at Dmctalk.org. They have the most users and lurkers looking for a Delorean but they can be sticklers about the rules. Before you are allowed to sell, you have to have 20 posts and they have to be meaningful posts and you must name a price. I don't agree with that, but it's not my call. Who decides if a post is meaningful anyway?

Those rules only apply to the masses. When a mod was selling something and got called out on his omission of an asking price he simply put "1 million dollars or best offer".

Also don't forget the UK forum at deloreans.co.uk.

VIN
    Feel free to post it for sale over here too. We don't have a bunch of silly rules on this forum.

Another bit of advise would be to lookup Chris Burns on Facebook. He will tell the whole world about your car.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Thanks Guys for the replies. You've been helpful. If you don't mind look at the new pics and help me establish a starting point and a realistic price.

Ok I went today and took more pics. Its in really good shape, especially the interior. No cracks in the dash or seats and the carpet still looks new. The headliner is messed up, but again he has a brand new one in the box. Today we went through the garage and found some other miscellaneous DMC stuff. Here are some more pics.
    2014-12-14 13.49.47.jpg2014-12-14 13.49.56.jpg2014-12-14 13.50.06.jpg2014-12-14 13.50.15.jpg2014-12-14 13.50.23.jpg2014-12-14 13.51.13.jpg2014-12-14 13.51.30.jpg2014-12-14 13.51.37.jpg2014-12-14 13.52.04.jpg2014-12-14 13.52.22.jpg2014-12-14 14.00.24.jpg2014-12-14 14.02.45.jpg2014-12-14 14.03.41.jpg2014-12-14 14.03.48.jpgATT_1418005035259_20140921_143002.jpg

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Still no frame pics, but looks to be a very nice and original car. Fascias are straight, leather looks mint, engine compatment looks nice and clean and 100% stock which is a positive and a negative depending on who is buying.

If that car were 100% running and the frame looked good I would be asking about 32 to 35k. You might be money ahead to spend some time on it and get it in good working order and detailed rather than try to sell it as is. Selling a rough running Delorean, you will most definately take a hit.

Agreed with Michael on every point. Clean it up, add the missing trunk carpet, and try to get it running well. Cosmetics look great.

Don't forget the cover for the brake fluid cap. That and a little TLC and you should be good to go.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

I'm a little surprised at the gas flap + antenna fender. Does that suggest that the fender was replaced?