Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Door Struts (Bill Did Not Create This Thread)

VIN
    What's with all this post deleting? We don't do that here. The threads with thirmanj trying to pass me off is an excellent example.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Farrar needs to stop deleting posts if he wants to stay an admin.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

I think anyone that sees how good the struts work when they are damped (like in Farrar's video) would never buy non-damped struts. Farrar's struts work better than mine at 63 deg. temp. It's time to replace my 5 year old ones.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    I just ordered a set of Grady's new struts. I'm interested to see how much better they are than the StrongArm brand.

I edited the post and removed the content. That's not the same as deleting a post.

I have deleted the video from YouTube. There's nothing you can do about that.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I just ordered a set of Grady's new struts. I'm interested to see how much better they are than the StrongArm brand.
    Chris, how did it work out with your Grady struts? I put them on my car yesterday, and they do not open the doors fully. I have to lift them the last 10%.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    Chris, how did it work out with your Grady struts? I put them on my car yesterday, and they do not open the doors fully. I have to lift them the last 10%.
    The "hang adjustment" as I recall is supposed to set the proper tension in the torsion bars before the strut install, so when you install the struts, everything should work correctly. With the struts off, the doors should hang almost closed. Something like 6"(not sure, going on memory) of space between the bottom of the door and the door sill with the strut off.

Personally I think too much time has elapsed for that to be an accurate adjustment, especially with the different storage conditions on a 30 yr. old torsion bar. Maybe when they were all new that worked, but surely one that has lived a life of luxury in a garage for 25 years will have a different pre set than one used and put through hot and/or cold seasons.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    Hi Matt. Yes my doors don't open all the way either. But I need a Torsion Bar adjustment. The strong arm struts did not work better than Grady's. My passenger side is set looser than the driver's side. The driver side door opens almost perfectly in warm weather. The passenger side is set too weak. I have to lift the door up manually most of the time.

I was told that the doors should "hang" open 4 to 6 inches from the torsion bar tension alone. Mine don't actually hang that much -- maybe an inch or so -- but I am too scared to adjust the torsion bars, and I don't really mind pushing the doors up those last two or three inches.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!

One of my goals is to make a single person torsion bar jig (basically the two person jig with a vertical threaded rod in lieu of the second person). You need a jig to hold the bar in case you have to fight with the bracket to get it off (as soon as you unbolt the bracket from the car it is free to spin around and break your back window -- don't want to try to hold the bar with one hand while fighting a stuck bracket with the other).

If your brackets slide on & off the bar OK you can torque the torsion bar by yourself with a socket wrench.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 05-06-2015 at 10:52 AM.