Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Door Struts (Bill Did Not Create This Thread)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Bengston struts aren't an option for some of us....

Bill Robertson

Amen!

Even if they were, he doesn't make them, so they can be sourced from somewhere else at a lower cost.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Josh wants $46 plus shipping. Even at $25 (free shipping) you're better off with Strong Arms off Amazon or eBay.

Last year I paid $15 each for mine -- should have stocked up and resold them.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    5786, 3196
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Josh wants $46 plus shipping. Even at $25 (free shipping) you're better off with Strong Arms off Amazon or eBay.

Last year I paid $15 each for mine -- should have stocked up and resold them.

Bill Robertson
    He does discount for the pair, which makes them cheaper than the Houston struts when bought in pairs. I do agree that the StrongArms are a better deal, but when I tell someone I'm going to order something, I don't like backing out on what I said I would do. Plus, then I will have had experience with every brand of strut that's currently available.
    5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion, Kenwood head unit, Polk DXi speakers, and Pioneer-loaded DMC-CA sub box.

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build (the Wilson Hitchings car), DPI rebuilt engine with cams and exhaust, Kenwood head unit, Eclipse speakers, Genesis 5-channel amplifier, and JL loaded DMC sub.

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1979 Corvette

Administrator
    VIN
    I have strong arms and the Amazon lift struts....both work great.

VIN
    5786, 3196
    The StrongArm (Amazon.com) louvre struts work perfectly. I'm still waiting on my second hood strut.
    5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion, Kenwood head unit, Polk DXi speakers, and Pioneer-loaded DMC-CA sub box.

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build (the Wilson Hitchings car), DPI rebuilt engine with cams and exhaust, Kenwood head unit, Eclipse speakers, Genesis 5-channel amplifier, and JL loaded DMC sub.

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1979 Corvette

VIN
    5786, 3196
    I just installed the hood struts today. I'm impressed. They're an inch longer fully extended than the Hervey struts I removed and the ones on 3196. This means you have to remove both of the old ones before installing the new ones. However, once installed, they worked great. One of the struts held up the hood on its own while I walked around to install the second strut. Once I closed the hood, I opened it again to see how well they lift. They lifted and continued to open the hood on their own without me having to do anything, and the lifting slowed towards the end and gently stopped when they reached their limit. They may be an inch too long, but they work great!

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1979 Corvette

For the morbidly curious, this is what a Strong Arm strut looks like at 28 degrees:

28DegreeDoorStrut.jpg

The door opens about 3/4 of the way on its own, then you push it the rest of the way up, but it does at least stay.

Bill Robertson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    VIN
    I have Strong Arm struts & happy with them, but think I might need the torsion bars adjusted. I think I once read a rule-of-thumb of how much the door should stay open without struts...mine don't stay open at all without struts.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I have Strong Arm struts & happy with them, but think I might need the torsion bars adjusted. I think I once read a rule-of-thumb of how much the door should stay open without struts...mine don't stay open at all without struts.
    The "sag" is supposed to be measured from the sill to the bottom of the door. I think it's in the neighborhood of 8-12"(just guessing) and that is what you use to set the tension on the torsion bar, then once the strut is in place everything should be perfect.

I'm sure there is no set standard anymore since different storage and usage methods over the last 3 decades along with so many types of door struts avaliable have left no 2 cars the same.

If you want to try the Strong Arm door struts for cheap, they're on sale right now for $25 each here.
    DeLorean status: awaiting engine replacement.

Hire my voice!