Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Door Struts (Bill Did Not Create This Thread)

Houston struts: shit (expensive shit -- $46 each)

Hervey struts: pretty good, less expensive ($40 each), 5 year warranty (good luck redeeming it)

Strongarm struts: excellent, used to be $15 each, now $26 each, lifetime warranty is news to me (though while checking the back of the bag I noticed AVM Industries is located about 50 miles away from me).

I'm getting ready to run some errands -- I'll stick my head into Autozone to see if they can special order 4107's, and if so what their price/warranty is.

Bill Robertson

Even though Autozone is shown on the AVM website as a dealer, my Autozone couldn't xRef the Strong Arm part number. Autozone website shows a Mighty Lift (also AVM) 4107, but its specs are all wrong. Costs $35 anyway and only has a 1 year warranty.

A lifetime warranty is offered by one of Amazon's fulfillment partners: Lift Supports Depot. Shipping from their website (http://www.liftsupportsdepot.com) is $7.58, so you'd be better off buying the struts off Amazon with free shipping.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    I just ordered mine from eBay. $36.90 for a pair with lifetime warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-G-Wing-Lif...94ce45&vxp=mtr
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I just ordered mine from eBay. $36.90 for a pair with lifetime warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-G-Wing-Lif...94ce45&vxp=mtr
    It explicitly says it does not cover wear and tear. If those struts sag from wear, you're probably on your own.

Which brings up the fact that I've been using my PJ Grady struts now since 2003, and they still work fine. How is it possible?

VIN
    Crap.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    Which brings up the fact that I've been using my PJ Grady struts now since 2003, and they still work fine. How is it possible?
    Your car has been out of service for much of that time.

Opening and closing the doors is what wears the internal seals out.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Your car has been out of service for much of that time.

Opening and closing the doors is what wears the internal seals out.

Bill Robertson
    Not sure if the seals wear out or that even a new unused unit has some leakage of the nitrogen charge. I leave my doors open in my garage thinking it keeps less pressure inside the cylinders. Also less stress on the other door, roof components.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Paging mice....

Something is definitely amiss with Houston struts right out of the box. They're fine in warm weather, but let the gas contract just a little bit and they lose lifting power. This isn't the first time Houston has had strut problems: in the early 2000's they sold struts that were too long and damaged owners' ball mounts.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    5786, 3196
    My Houston struts did not lift well in warm or cold weather. After the torsion bar was adjusted, they lifted fine.... at first. Over the course of the summer, they both started to lose lifting power, to the point where it was difficult to lift them all the way. One started making grinding noises as I lifted it up. That car (3196) now has my old Hervey struts on it, and things are working more smoothly. I did order a set from DPI for 3196, as I had talked to Josh about his struts for 3196 before I decided to try the Amazon struts for 5786. I'd much rather take a gamble on parts for my car rather than my fiance's car.
    5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion, Kenwood head unit, Polk DXi speakers, and Pioneer-loaded DMC-CA sub box.

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build (the Wilson Hitchings car), DPI rebuilt engine with cams and exhaust, Kenwood head unit, Eclipse speakers, Genesis 5-channel amplifier, and JL loaded DMC sub.

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1979 Corvette

Bengston struts aren't an option for some of us....

Bill Robertson