Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Door Struts (Bill Did Not Create This Thread)

DMCH Door Struts (Bill Did Not Create This Thread)

Houston's door struts aren't worth 2 cents in even moderately cool weather, much less the dead of winter. Our nighttime temps have dropped into the 50's for the first time this year, and my doors are sagging already (yesterday during the day with temps the 80's they were just fine). Amazon's el'cheapo Strong Arm struts may not be perfect, but they do at least hold your doors open all the way down to freezing.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't agree more; when I was driving my car in about 35 degree weather; to get every last day's worth of use out of it, I had to raise the door the last quarter of the way by hand and hold it to keep it from sagging, and that was on BRAND NEW struts.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    5786, 3196
    I replaced the ones on 3196 last December. I thought they were being shitty because it was cold. They didn't get any better. I had the torsion bars adjusted at the DMA Spring Social last year, but now the struts aren't lifting the doors all the way up and the doors are difficult to close because torsion bars were tightened. I'm going to try a set of DPI struts next when I can get my torsion bars adjusted.

Try the Strongarms. When I bought mine they were only $15 each on Amazon, now $25 and specifically listed as "DeLorean" -- I think word has leaked out. Even so, that's still half of what Houston charges, and they work significantly better in cold weather. I've just swapped my Houston struts for my Strongarms. My intention is to use Houston's struts in the spring and summer, and Strongarms in the fall and winter.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    5786, 3196
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Try the Strongarms. When I bought mine they were only $15 each on Amazon, now $25 and specifically listed as "DeLorean" -- I think word has leaked out. Even so, that's still half of what Houston charges, and they work significantly better in cold weather. I've just swapped my Houston struts for my Strongarms. My intention is to use Houston's struts in the spring and summer, and Strongarms in the fall and winter.

Bill Robertson
    I'm guessing these are the correct ones for the doors: http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-4107...elorean+struts

Has anyone tried their struts for the trunk? http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-6147...elorean+struts

Or the louvers? http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-6148...elorean+struts

EDIT: I just ordered the whole set, so I'll report my findings when they arrive. My Hervey door struts on 5786 are getting weak, so I'll transfer them to 3196 and be done with the DMCH struts. Then I'll replace the Hervey trunk and louver struts on 5786, too, so I'll have all StrongArm struts on 5786.
    Last edited by delo5786; 10-09-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion, Kenwood head unit, Polk DXi speakers, and Pioneer-loaded DMC-CA sub box.

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build (the Wilson Hitchings car), DPI rebuilt engine with cams and exhaust, Kenwood head unit, Eclipse speakers, Genesis 5-channel amplifier, and JL loaded DMC sub.

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1979 Corvette

When I bought mine last year Amazon didn't say anything about "DeLorean" -- just 4107. Now they are specifically listed as DeLorean struts (and no other vehicle -- surely 4107's xRef to some other application too). How did Amazon know what kind of vehicle we were buying these for? Is Amazon lurking Today too?

And why did they suddenly almost double the price?

Whoever is using these struts for a different application must be good and pissed at the DeLorean community now.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    They also have a lifetime warranty. I got both of mine replaced because they stared to get weak.

VIN
    10310, 6146
    I tried the ones for the bonnet. They worked great. They even have a blue sticker that can be peeled off easily for the "all black" look (unlike some other struts that have non-removable vendor lables).
    Tom

VIN
    5786, 3196
    I just received and installed the door struts today. They worked just like (and a little better than) my Hervey struts, so I'm happy. The rest should be arriving sometime next week.

EDIT: I just thought I'd add.. I put my old Hervey struts on 3196 to replace the less-than-a-year-old DMC struts. The hervey struts apparently have a little life left in them, though the driver's side is a little tired. But, the awful grinding noise coming from the passenger side door and feeling the strut resist me as I manually open the door to its full height are now gone. Those DMC struts were borked right out of the box.
    Last edited by delo5786; 10-10-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion, Kenwood head unit, Polk DXi speakers, and Pioneer-loaded DMC-CA sub box.

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build (the Wilson Hitchings car), DPI rebuilt engine with cams and exhaust, Kenwood head unit, Eclipse speakers, Genesis 5-channel amplifier, and JL loaded DMC sub.

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1979 Corvette

Sorry what struts are we talking about? The Amazon ones?